Former CIA Director Leon Panetta leaked “top secret” information to Mark Boal, who wrote the script for Zero Dark Thirty, about the raid which killed Osama bin Laden, according to documents released on Tuesday.
The incident happened at a June 24, 2011 CIA awards ceremony where Panetta spoke. A Panetta spokesperson told the Associated Press that the former Obama administration official wasn’t aware that Boal was in the room when he gave his speech.
The documents were released by Judicial Watch, a conservative watchdog organization.
The CIA’s “security policy and administrative procedures were not followed in allowing Mr. Boal”¦ access to the classified Bin Ladin [sic] Operation Award Ceremony,” according to an October 2012 CIA review of the event.
The review found that none of the CIA’s protective agents — referred to as “OS” in the documents — were aware that an “uncleared visitor” was in attendance.
It’s not the first time Panetta has been accused of being the leak. According to a Defense Department Inspector General draft report released earlier this year by the Project On Government Oversight, “Panetta specifically recognized the unit that conducted the raid and identified the ground commander by name.”
Judicial Watch argues in its release of the documents that the fact that the CIA redacted more than 90 lines of Panetta’s speech for security reasons confirms that “significant portions of the speech should not have been made in front of the filmmaker who lacked top security clearance.”
Former House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Peter King requested an investigation in August 2011 into the allegations of leaked information by the administration, including that “a Hollywood filmmaker “¦ attended a CIA ceremony.
What We're Following See More »
Despite trailing Hillary Clinton by a significant margin, Bernie Sanders wasn't going the way of Ted Cruz tonight. The Vermont senator upset Clinton in Indiana, with MSNBC calling the race at 9pm. Sanders appears poised to win by a five- or six-point spread.
And just like that, it's over. Ted Cruz will suspend his presidential campaign after losing badly to Donald Trump in Indiana tonight. "While Cruz had always hedged when asked whether he would quit if he lost Indiana; his campaign had laid a huge bet on the state." John Kasich's campaign has pledged to carry on. “From the beginning, I’ve said that I would continue on as long as there was a viable path to victory,” said Cruz. “Tonight, I’m sorry to say it appears that path has been foreclosed."
The Republican establishment's last remaining hope—a contested convention this summer—may have just ended in Indiana, as Donald Trump won a decisive victory over Ted Cruz. Nothing Cruz seemed to have in his corner seemed to help—not a presumptive VP pick in Carly Fiorina, not a midwestern state where he's done well in the past, and not the state's legions of conservatives. Though Trump "won't secure the 1,237 delegates he needs to formally claim the nomination until June, his Indiana triumph makes it almost impossible to stop him. Following his decisive wins in New York and other East Coast states, the Indiana victory could put Trump within 200 delegates of the magic number he needs to clinch the nomination." Cruz, meanwhile, "now faces the agonizing choice of whether to remain in the race, with his attempt to force the party into a contested convention in tatters, or to bow out and cede the party nomination to his political nemesis." The Associated Press, which called the race at 7pm, predicts Trump will win at least 45 delegates.