Members of the House’s Select Committee on Benghazi will meet this week with family members of the four Americans who were killed at the Libyan embassy two years ago, members of the committee told National Journal.
The meeting will be the first between members of the select committee, which was formed in May, and victims’ families. The families have appeared before Congress in the past, having testified before the House Oversight Committee just a year after the initial attacks.
The committee will not be releasing the schedule for the meeting out of respect for the families and their privacy, said ranking member Elijah Cummings of Maryland.
“It’s an important conversation because I think it will help us to refocus on the fact that there are people who lost their loved ones. And if they have questions that are still out there, I think we want to know what those questions are,” Cummings said.
The meeting comes just days before members leave Washington for their five-week August recess.
“While it may not be the easiest conversation, I look forward to it because I also think it’s important that we let them know that we truly care and that they are not forgotten,” Cummings added.
“Members of the Select Committee are meeting privately this week with family members of the Americans killed in the Benghazi attacks so we could hear from them directly,” a spokesman for committee chairman Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., said in a statement. “In order to respect their privacy, the Committee will have no further statement on these meetings.”
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi told reporters in May that two of the families had reached out to members of the House and urged them not to open another investigation into the matter. Nonetheless, Cummings said that all four families would be present.
- 1 How Ron Wyden Banned Internet Taxes Forever
- 2 Obama’s Second-Term Agenda Hits a Roadblock: the Supreme Court
- 3 John Kasich Dismisses Climate Change As ‘Some Theory That’s Not Proven’
- 4 Obamacare Will Reduce Income Inequality, but Quietly
- 5 I Did Improv With the ‘Jeopardy Villain,’ and He’s Exactly as He Appears on Television
What We're Following See More »
Under pressure from a judge, the State Department will release about 550 of Hillary Clinton’s emails—“roughly 14 percent of the 3,700 remaining Clinton emails—on Saturday, in the middle of the Presidents Day holiday weekend.” All of the emails were supposed to have been released last month. Related: State subpoenaed the Clinton Foundation last year, which brings the total number of current Clinton investigations to four, says the Daily Caller.
UPDATED: Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) will not be playing the role of Ralph Nader in this year’s election. Speaking in Dallas today, Webb said, “We looked at the possibility of an independent candidacy. Theoretically, it could be done, but it is enormously costly and time sensitive, and I don’t see the fundraising trajectory where we could make a realistic run.”
“The leaders of the Republican and Democratic national committees on Wednesday weighed in on the prospect of an independent presidential run by” former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I). “DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz suggested that the former New York City mayor’s priorities are already ‘well cared-for’ in the Democratic platform, while RNC leader Reince Priebus welcomed the idea, saying Bloomberg would siphon off votes from the Democratic candidate.”
Three hundred fifty-two, thanks to superdelegates pledged to Clinton, and the vagaries of the delegate allocation process in early states. Not bad, considering her results have been a virtual tie and a blowout loss.