A lobbying group for TV stations sued the Federal Communications Commission Monday over the agency’s plan to auction their broadcast licenses to cell-phone carriers.
TV stations don’t have to participate in the auction, and the airwaves will mean faster smartphone connections for millions of consumers.
But the National Association of Broadcasters warned that the auction could hurt the TV stations that choose to stay on the air. In its lawsuit, the group claimed that the remaining stations could reach fewer viewers and could be forced to pay millions of dollars to revamp their equipment to work on new frequencies.
The lawsuit notes that Congress ordered the FCC to make “all reasonable efforts” to preserve the coverage area of TV stations that refuse to participate in the auction.
“Local broadcasters should not be forced to go out of pocket to help multi-national wireless giants,” Rick Kaplan, an NAB executive, said in a blog post.
The group is not trying to stop the auction entirely, but wants the FCC to rework its rules to protect the stations that sit out the auction. Kaplan said the suit is “not designed to derail the auction, or even slow it down.”
“We are looking for a mid-course correction that better reflects Congress’ intent and that protects broadcasters and the millions of vulnerable over-the-air TV viewers,” he said.
But a prolonged legal battle could become a headache for the FCC and could force the agency to delay the auction. The cell-phone industry has been clamoring for more airwaves, warning that their networks could soon become congested due to skyrocketing traffic.
Scott Bergmann, the head of regulatory affairs for wireless lobbying group CTIA, said he hopes the courts will handle the NAB’s lawsuit quickly and that the broadcasters won’t cause unnecessary delays.
An FCC spokesperson said the agency is “confident” that the plan complies with the law.
Walter Piecyk, a wireless industry analyst with the firm BTIG, said the FCC is already being optimistic by aiming for a 2015 auction.
“This provides just one more hurdle to deliver on that goal,” he said.
What We're Following See More »
Under pressure from a judge, the State Department will release about 550 of Hillary Clinton’s emails—“roughly 14 percent of the 3,700 remaining Clinton emails—on Saturday, in the middle of the Presidents Day holiday weekend.” All of the emails were supposed to have been released last month. Related: State subpoenaed the Clinton Foundation last year, which brings the total number of current Clinton investigations to four, says the Daily Caller.
UPDATED: Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) will not be playing the role of Ralph Nader in this year’s election. Speaking in Dallas today, Webb said, “We looked at the possibility of an independent candidacy. Theoretically, it could be done, but it is enormously costly and time sensitive, and I don’t see the fundraising trajectory where we could make a realistic run.”
“The leaders of the Republican and Democratic national committees on Wednesday weighed in on the prospect of an independent presidential run by” former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I). “DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz suggested that the former New York City mayor’s priorities are already ‘well cared-for’ in the Democratic platform, while RNC leader Reince Priebus welcomed the idea, saying Bloomberg would siphon off votes from the Democratic candidate.”
Three hundred fifty-two, thanks to superdelegates pledged to Clinton, and the vagaries of the delegate allocation process in early states. Not bad, considering her results have been a virtual tie and a blowout loss.