The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court has approved President Obama’s changes to the National Security Agency program that collects records on virtually all U.S. phone calls, the administration announced late Thursday.
In a bid to ease growing outrage over NSA surveillance, Obama announced immediate changes last month to the controversial program, which was first revealed by Edward Snowden. Obama ordered the NSA to seek court approval every time it wants to access the vast database of phone records. NSA analysts were previously supposed to have a “reasonable, articulable suspicion” that a phone number was associated with terrorism before accessing its call records — but it was up to the NSA and not any outside judge to make that determination.
Obama also reduced the degrees of separation that NSA analysts could stray from their initial target from three to two.
According to the announcement by the director of national intelligence, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, which oversees the NSA programs, approved Obama’s new tougher privacy standards on Wednesday. The actual court ruling remains secret.
The approval is unsurprising as the court had already approved the less stringent standards on numerous occasions.
In his speech last month, Obama also directed Attorney General Eric Holder and top intelligence officials to develop a plan for the NSA to give up control over the massive phone database. The details of how the NSA could continue mining the records for possible terrorist connections while not retaining control of the database remain unclear.
For now, the NSA will continue its sweeps of billions of phone records.
Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy applauded the new limits on the NSA data collection, but he vowed to continue pushing his legislation to end the program altogether.
“I am glad to see that the administration is moving forward to impose important safeguards on its bulk collection of Americans’ phone records,” Leahy said. “But we must do more than just reform the government’s bulk phone records collection program; we should shut it down.”
What We're Following See More »
President Obama became a surprise topic of contention toward the end of the Democratic debate, as Hillary Clinton reminded viewers that Sanders had challenged the progressive bona fides of President Obama in 2011 and suggested that someone might challenge him from the left. “The kind of criticism that we’ve heard from Senator Sanders about our president I expect from Republicans, I do not expect from someone running for the Democratic nomination to succeed President Obama,” she said. “Madame Secretary, that is a low blow,” replied Sanders, before getting in another dig during his closing statement: “One of us ran against Barack Obama. I was not that candidate.”
It’s all about the 1% and Wall Street versus everyone else for Bernie Sanders—even when he’s talking about race relations. Like Hillary Clinton, he needs to appeal to African-American and Hispanic voters in coming states, but he insists on doing so through his lens of class warfare. When he got a question from the moderators about the plight of black America, he noted that during the great recession, African Americans “lost half their wealth,” and “instead of tax breaks for billionaires,” a Sanders presidency would deliver jobs for kids. On the very next question, he downplayed the role of race in inequality, saying, “It’s a racial issue, but it’s also a general economic issue.”
It’s been said in just about every news story since New Hampshire: the primaries are headed to states where Hillary Clinton will do well among minority voters. Leaving nothing to chance, she underscored that point in her opening statement in the Milwaukee debate tonight, saying more needs to be done to help “African Americans who face discrimination in the job market” and immigrant families. She also made an explicit reference to “equal pay for women’s work.” Those boxes she’s checking are no coincidence: if she wins women, blacks and Hispanics, she wins the nomination.
Under pressure from a judge, the State Department will release about 550 of Hillary Clinton’s emails—“roughly 14 percent of the 3,700 remaining Clinton emails—on Saturday, in the middle of the Presidents Day holiday weekend.” All of the emails were supposed to have been released last month. Related: State subpoenaed the Clinton Foundation last year, which brings the total number of current Clinton investigations to four, says the Daily Caller.