WASHINGTON — The Obama administration’s efforts to abandon Yucca Mountain as a storage site for nuclear waste were dealt a setback Tuesday, as a federal appeals court ruled that the Nuclear Regulatory Commission must issue a ruling on the site’s permit application.
The 2-1 ruling said the administration’s directives “violate the law,” which designates Yucca Mountain as the United States’ nuclear waste repository, Reuters reports. Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz has expressed support for finding alternatives to Yucca Mountain, which has been met with mixed reviews in the House and Senate.
In July, Moniz presented the administration’s view that wrangling over the long-disputed Yucca site has “no end in sight.” The “stalemate,” he said, “couldn’t continue indefinitely.” Moniz was appointed by President Obama to serve on a blue-ribbon commission tasked with finding alternatives to Yucca Mountain, and the commission’s proposals have served as a framework for Senate legislation that calls for finding alternative storage facilities.
House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Fred Upton, R-Mich., and Environment and the Economy Subcommittee Chairman John Shimkus, R-Ill., issued a joint statement praising the ruling. “The Obama administration rejected the law and prematurely terminated the Yucca Mountain repository program, but Congress and the courts have spoken out to prevent billions of taxpayer dollars and three decades of research from being squandered,” the pair said.
Another Republican, Sen. Dean Heller of Nevada, had a far different reaction to the renewed focus on his state as a nuclear storage site. “This ruling is an exercise in futility that will ultimately waste resources that could be better used elsewhere,” Heller said. “Instead of continuing to try to force Yucca Mountain on the people of Nevada, my colleagues should focus on moving forward towards a new process that will allow for consent-based siting.”
Meanwhile, Moniz and Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval are meeting Tuesday as they continue to dispute whether the state has agreed to take on storage of nuclear waste.
What We're Following See More »
With three days until the first debate, the polls are coming fast and furious. The latest round:
- An Associated Press/Gfk poll of registered voters found very few voters committed, with Clinton leading Trump, 37% to 29%, and Gary Johnson at 7%.
- A McClatchy-Marist poll gave Clinton a six-point edge, 45% to 39%, in a four-way ballot test. Johnson pulls 10% support, with Jill Stein at 4%.
- Rasmussen, which has drawn criticism for continually showing Donald Trump doing much better than he does in other polls, is at it again. A new survey gives Trump a five-point lead, 44%-39%.
In contrast to Hillary Clinton's meticulous debate practice sessions, Donald Trump "is largely shunning traditional debate preparations, but has been watching video of…Clinton’s best and worst debate moments, looking for her vulnerabilities.” Trump “has paid only cursory attention to briefing materials. He has refused to use lecterns in mock debate sessions despite the urging of his advisers. He prefers spitballing ideas with his team rather than honing them into crisp, two-minute answers.”
Donald Trump "is on the precipice of becoming the only major-party presidential candidate this century not to reach out to millions of American voters whose dominant, first or just preferred language is Spanish. Trump has not only failed to buy any Spanish-language television or radio ads, he so far has avoided even offering a translation of his website into Spanish, breaking with two decades of bipartisan tradition."
Bill and Hillary Clinton have purchased the home next door to their primary residence in tony Chappaqua, New York, for $1.16 million. "By purchasing the new home, the Clinton's now own the entire cul-de-sac at the end of the road in the leafy New York suburb. The purchase makes it easier for the United States Secret Service to protect the former president and possible future commander in chief."