In New Setback, Air Force Missile Team Fails Security Drill

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
Aug. 14, 2013, 7:02 a.m.

An Air Force unit that over­sees one-third of Amer­ica’s land-based nuc­le­ar mis­siles failed a safety and se­cur­ity in­spec­tion, con­sti­tut­ing the second ser­i­ous Minute­man 3 mis­sion read­i­ness prob­lem this year, the As­so­ci­ated Press re­por­ted on Tues­day.

Lt. Gen­er­al James M. Kow­al­ski, com­mand­er of Air Force Glob­al Strike Com­mand — an or­gan­iz­a­tion cre­ated in 2009 as part of a broad ef­fort to al­le­vi­ate prob­lems in the ser­vice’s nuc­le­ar mis­sion — told AP that a team of “re­l­at­ively low-rank­ing” air­men sta­tioned at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont., “did not demon­strate the right pro­ced­ures” in a single ex­er­cise. The drill was part of a more ex­pans­ive in­spec­tion that star­ted last week and ended on Tues­day.

A writ­ten state­ment pos­ted on the com­mand’s web­site said the 341st Mis­sile Wing re­ceived an un­sat­is­fact­ory rat­ing after mak­ing “tac­tic­al level er­rors — not re­lated to com­mand and con­trol of nuc­le­ar weapons — dur­ing one of sev­er­al ex­er­cises con­duc­ted dur­ing the in­spec­tion. This fail­ure res­ul­ted in the en­tire in­spec­tion be­ing rated ‘un­sat­is­fact­ory.’”

The wing is one of three that con­trol 450 Minute­man 3 ICBMs, ac­cord­ing to AP.

The Air Force is “look­ing in­to” the pos­sib­il­ity of dis­cip­lin­ary ac­tion against the 341st, Kow­al­ski told the wire ser­vice. He noted, though, that the wing did well over­all, scor­ing ex­cel­lent or out­stand­ing in most of the 13 areas be­ing tested.

In March, the deputy com­mand­er of the 91st Mis­sile Wing — sta­tioned at Minot Air Force Base, N.D. — com­plained of “rot” in the group after an in­spec­tion gave its mis­sile crews the equi­val­ent of a “D” grade on Minute­man 3 launch op­er­a­tions, ac­cord­ing to AP. Al­though the 91st passed that in­spec­tion, the failed sim­u­la­tion of ICBM launch op­er­a­tions res­ul­ted in the tem­por­ary re­mov­al and re­train­ing of 19 per­son­nel.

In 2008, the 5th Bomb Wing at Minot failed the nuc­le­ar se­cur­ity com­pon­ent of an in­spec­tion. 

Eric Fan­ning, act­ing sec­ret­ary of the Air Force, will travel to Barks­dale Air Force Base, La., on Wed­nes­day to meet with Kow­al­ski and dis­cuss spe­cif­ics of the Malmstrom case, as well as as­pects of the over­all nuc­le­ar mis­sion, top Air Force spokes­man Brig. Gen. Les Kod­lick told AP. The trip was planned pri­or to the latest in­cid­ent.

The Air Force nuc­le­ar mis­sion has hit a num­ber of bumps since 2008, in­clud­ing a B-52 bomber flight over sev­er­al U.S. states dur­ing which the crew was un­aware that ac­tu­al weapons were on­board.

In an in­ter­view on Tues­day, Kow­al­ski said that the num­ber of prob­lems at the nuc­le­ar wings has de­creased since his com­mand was es­tab­lished in 2009, AP re­por­ted. The oc­ca­sion­al fail­ures do not point to a wide-reach­ing fail­ure to fol­low safety and se­cur­ity pro­to­cols, the gen­er­al as­ser­ted.

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
1 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
5 hours ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

FUNERAL FOR ISRAELI LEADER
Obama Compares Peres to ‘Giants of the 20th Century’
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.

Source:
×