North Korea has begun a large-scale building program at its key missile-launch complex, according to the expert website 38 North, which analyzed satellite surveillance photographs taken toward the end of last month.
Six notable new construction efforts have begun so far this summer at the Dongchang-ri missile site, which is the newer and larger of North Korea’s two missile-firing facilities. Of special interest is a work site that might be turned into a cement “flat launch pad,” which could serve as a platform for launching ballistic missiles from road-mobile launchers illicitly acquired from China, according to image expert Nick Hansen, who authored the 38 North report.
It is still too early in the construction to reach a decisive conclusion on the implications of the building work, according to Hansen.
Still, the absence of any notable movement at the North’s older missile launching facility at Musudan-ri and the amount of building work around Dongchang-ri suggests that Pyongyang does not plan to carry out any more missile or rocket launches in the next half year, concluded 38 North, which is a project of the Johns Hopkins University’s U.S.-Korea Institute.
Meanwhile, the South Korean Defense Ministry in a Tuesday report to parliament declared that Pyongyang has the ability to produce a nuclear device whenever it wants, the Yonhap News Agency reported.
“North Korea’s nuclear program remained at a developmental and experimental stage in 2010, but it has grown into a real threat in 2013, and it is able to make a nuclear device at any time,” the ministry said, further noting that “China’s changing attitude toward North Korea proves the seriousness of (its nuclear program).”
The Chinese military’s deputy chief of general staff, Sun Jianguo, on Tuesday reiterated Beijing’s “consistent and clear-cut” commitment to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, Yonhap separately reported.
China’s senior negotiator to a paralyzed six-nation process aimed at achieving permanent North Korean denuclearization last week met with his North Korean counterpart. The two men “exchanged views on the resumption of the six-party talks,” according to Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei.
The six-party nuclear talks involve China, Japan, North and South Korea, Russia and the United States. The aid-for-denuclearization negotiations were last held in late 2008.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.