Japan wants the right in a potential bilateral atomic-trade agreement with India to terminate the accord if New Delhi carries out a new nuclear-weapons test, the Indian Express reported on Friday.
After a three-year gap in nuclear-trade talks, the two nations earlier this month relaunched negotiations for a cooperation agreement that would enable Japan to export atomic materials and technology to energy-hungry India.
Tokyo’s calls for the inclusion of a provision that would “terminate” the deal should New Delhi detonate another nuclear device go beyond the language of the 2008 U.S.-India civilian atomic cooperation pact, anonymous sources told the Indian newspaper. That accord only stipulates that following a possible return by New Delhi to nuclear testing, India and the United States hold talks for 12 months before deciding whether to annul the atomic deal.
Japan also is leery of allowing India to reprocess used nuclear material — a technique that can be used to produce new reactor material or to generate fissile material for warheads. France, Russia and the United States in their own bilateral atomic-trade deals with India allowed New Delhi to retain reprocessing rights.
“There are several outstanding issues that we have,” Japanese Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Toshimitsu Motegi said during a trip to India this week. “We will have these issues discussed in the working groups so we can accelerate the efforts.”
Indian Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia, who met with Motegi, said this “is a very important area of cooperation but we are not fixing any deadline.”
“We are making progress and let’s see how it goes. It is very complex set of issues that we have to address,” Ahluwalia said.
What We're Following See More »
The Democratic National Committee issued a formal apology to Bernie Sanders today, after leaked emails showed staffers trying to sabotage his presidential bid. "On behalf of everyone at the DNC, we want to offer a deep and sincere apology to Senator Sanders, his supporters, and the entire Democratic Party for the inexcusable remarks made over email," DNC officials said in the statement. "These comments do not reflect the values of the DNC or our steadfast commitment to neutrality during the nominating process. The DNC does not—and will not—tolerate disrespectful language exhibited toward our candidates."
The chairman of the DCCC said Debbie Wasserman Schultz won't be getting financial help from the organization this year, even as she faces a well-funded primary challenger. "Rep. Ben Ray Luján (D-NM) said the committee’s resources will be spent helping Democrats in tough races rather than those in seats that are strongholds for the party." Executive Director Kelly Ward added, “We never spend money in safe seats."
Debbie Wasserman Schultz has given up her last remaining duty at this week's convention. Now, she's told her hometown newspaper, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, that she will not gavel in the convention today. Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake will do the honors instead. "I have decided that in the interest of making sure that we can start the Democratic convention on a high note that I am not going to gavel in the convention," Wasserman Schultz said.
Perhaps this talk of unity has been overstated. Addressing a room full of his supporters today, Bernie Sanders heard "sustained boos" when he said he said it was essential that we elect Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine.
The FBI this morning issued a statement saying it is "investigating a cyber intrusion involving the DNC," adding that "a compromise of this nature is something we take very seriously." Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton's campaign is suggesting that the hack "was committed by Russia to benefit Donald Trump."