The U.N. General Assembly convenes next week, and Secretary of State John Kerry is not taking any chances on Syria.
As world leaders converge on New York on Wednesday, the U.S. will press the U.N. Security Council to finalize a mechanism to find and destroy Syria’s chemical-weapons stockpile, a deal that Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov agreed to over the weekend. But while there was an agreement between these two nations, they still remain divided over the fundamental point that led to this agreement, and previously a military threat from the U.S.: who was responsible for a chemical-weapons attack that killed more than 1,000 people.
The findings from a U.N. report released this week “were as categorical as they were convincing” that the Syrian government—and not opposition fighters—carried out the attack, Kerry said from the State Department on Thursday. While Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said in an interview with Fox News on Thursday that he had not read the U.N. report and could not comment on it, Russia has already lambasted it, calling it biased and incomplete.
Despite this disagreement, any sort of finalized plan regarding Syria’s weapons is dependent on cooperation from the Security Council, and more specifically between the U.S. and Russia.
But Kerry’s comments were not only a warning to Russia and the rest of the international community, they also served as a flat-out rebuttal to Assad’s comments since the attack. Kerry said, “This fight about Syria’s chemical weapons is not a game,” and the U.N. must act.
“I would say to the community of nations, time is short,” he said. “Let’s not spend time debating what we already know. Instead, we have to recognize that the world is watching to see whether we can avert military action and achieve through peaceful means even more than what those military strikes promised.”
And while Syria and Russia have blamed previous chemical-weapons attacks on the opposition fighters, whom Assad has dubbed “terrorists,” Kerry said Thursday that “there’s not a shred of evidence” that the opposition has the capabilities to carry out such an attack.
What We're Following See More »
"The Trump administration is ending a humanitarian program that has allowed some 59,000 Haitians to live and work in the United States since an earthquake ravaged their country in 2010, Homeland Security officials said on Monday. Haitians with what is known as Temporary Protected Status will be expected to leave the United States by July 2019 or face deportation. ... About 320,000 people now benefit from the Temporary Protected Status program, which was signed into law by President George Bush in 1990."
"A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Donald Trump's executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities. U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick rejected the administration's argument that the executive order applies only to a relatively small pot of money and said Trump cannot set new conditions on spending approved by Congress. The judge had previously made the same arguments in a ruling that put a temporary hold on the executive order."