Health insurance will be free for some Americans on the new Affordable Care Act exchanges, according to a Health and Human Services analysis released Wednesday on insurance costs.
The average premium works out to zero after the tax subsidy for a family of four earning $50,000 a year on the lowest-cost bronze plan in Fairfax County, Virg., Jackson, Miss., and Anchorage, Ala., the HHS said. That’s because they will qualify for enough tax subsidies to cover the entire cost of the plan.
“Yes, people can get a zero premium bronze plan after the tax credit,” said Gary Cohen, director of the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, who is responsible for implementing the exchanges.
The zero-dollar price tag also means that some families will pay less than individuals for coverage.
“Because premiums for older individuals and families are higher than those for younger individuals, tax credits are larger for older individuals and families,” the report says. “Therefore, using tax credits to purchase a bronze plan may yield lower bronze premiums for older individuals and families than for younger individuals.”
It is unclear how many families will be eligible for such a deal, and if there are other income brackets that will also qualify. In Fairfax County, Virg., for instance, a 27-year-old making $25,000 per year would pay $66 per month for the lowest cost bronze plan coverage and that family of four making $50,000 would pay $282 per month if they chose to enroll in second-lowest silver plan coverage, according to the HHS report.
The study includes new data from states with federally-run exchanges. Complete details about premiums and plan offerings will be available, Cohen said, once the exchanges open for enrollment on Oct. 1.
What We're Following See More »
Donald Trump is set to issue a new and more focused executive order clarifying the scope of his travel ban, hoping that the order will survive legal challenges. The new order would focus on the same seven countries, "but would only bar entry to those without a visa and who have never entered the United States before. Unlike the original order, people from those countries who already have permanent U.S. residency (green cards) or visas would not face any restrictions." Some lawyers believe the government will now have much stronger standing, though lawyers who challenged the initial order see the same core problems with the forthcoming ban.
"President Donald Trump announced Monday that Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster will serve as his next national security adviser, filling the void left last week by the sudden dismissal of Michael Flynn. ... Retired Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg, who had been serving as the acting national security adviser since Flynn's exit, will return to his role as chief of staff of the National Security Council." The pick was widely praised on both sides of the aisle.
"Ret. Vice Adm. Bob Harward turned down President Donald Trump's offer to be national security adviser Thursday, depriving the administration of a top candidate for a critical foreign policy post days after Trump fired Michael Flynn." Among the potential reasons: his family, his lack of assurances that he could build his own team, and that "the White House seems so chaotic."