Gunshots have been fired outside of the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington.
National Journal has confirmed that the incident began at the White House when a car attempted to crash one of the barriers on an outer perimeter of the White House. That sparked a brief and complete lockdown of the White House, with a heightened security presence and a pushback of all tourists on Pennsylvania Avenue.
At a press conference Thursday night, the Capitol Police confirmed that the suspect was killed and that there was a one-year-old child in the car. The child did not sustain injuries and is now in protective custory, according to Capitol Police.
CNN reports that all shots came from law enforcement.
At an evening press conference, Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine said that one officer, a 23-year veteran of the force, was injured during a crash crash and is now in good stable condition. “I personally spoke with the officer and he is doing well,” he said at an evening press conference.
The investigation is ongoing. Officials did not answer questions about the suspect Thursday night, but had said earlier that “we have no information that this is related to terrorism or that this is related to anything other than an isolated incident.”
The House went into recess a little before 2:30 p.m. and restarted floor activity at 3:30 p.m. Following a brief moment of silence, members returned to discussion of the House GOP funding bills.
The president was briefed on the incident this afternoon.
Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., was in his office in the Hart Building when he heard, “pop, pop, pop, and then pop again.” He thought it was the start of construction and thought, “God, I don’t need this all afternoon.” He said he soon found out that it was gunfire and that he then welcomed 10-15 Capitol visitors to his office when the lockdown order was given.
“I didn’t get my Marine sword down to do battle,” Roberts said. “But I was ready to.”
House Minority Leader Pelosi, D-Calif., spoke to reporters and members outside the House chamber.
“There were gunshots,” she said, moving from member to member sitting outside the chamber.
Initially, upon word of the alert, security personnel in the chamber immediately slammed shut and locked the doors to the lobby outside, with reporters and some of the members inside.
Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y., told reporters he assumed any gunshots were intended at members.
On the balcony by the speaker’s lobby, Rep. Gerald Connolly, D-Va., tells National Journal that “we could not see anybody nor hear flashes, but we could distinctly hear it sounded like fireworks, a big fireworks display and then we realized it’s not fireworks. And then we realized it sounded more like the first volley of a 21 gun salute. 7,7,7, because it was very close together, a very loud burst.”
Reporters and people at the Capitol were initially told to shelter in place, but that order was lifted before 3. At that point, there were NCIS and FBI officers on the scene.
Rob Fox, a furloughed EPA employee who came to the Capitol to protest the shutdown, said that he saw a car “on the ramp that goes directly up to the steps of the Capitol and it stopped right behind the barricades.”
Dylan Price, 30, was standing on First Street between Independence and Constitution Avenues when he heard four or five pops. As one barricade was raised, a police car got snagged and flipped over.
Here are updates from Congress on Twitter:
Shots fired outside the Capitol. We are in temporary lock down.— Claire McCaskill (@clairecmc) October 3, 2013
There had been some short of shooting here at the capital, we r on lockdown awaiting more info— Jared Polis (@jaredpolis) October 3, 2013
I am told shooter has been arrested. House floor activity stopped for now.— Tim Griffin (@TimGriffinAR2) October 3, 2013
We’ll get you all the information we have as it comes in from our reporters on the Hill.
What We're Following See More »
The Supreme Court announced "that it would consider a challenge to President Trump’s latest effort to limit travel from countries said to pose a threat to the nation’s security." The case concerns Trump's most recent attempt to make good on a campaign promise "tainted by religious animus" and only questionably justified by national security concerns. The decision to take the case, called Trump v. Hawaii, comes almost exactly a year after Trump issued the first travel ban. The ban under consideration affects Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Chad and North Korea.
Trump wants to move the two grants, the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas grant and the Drug Free Communities Act, to the Justice and Health and Human Services departments, respectively. This would result in a $300 million plus reduction in funding, about 95 percent of the cost of the Office of National Drug Control Policy. "'I’m baffled at the idea of cutting the office or reducing it significantly and taking away its programs in the middle of an epidemic,'" said Regina LaBelle, who served as ONDCP chief of staff during the Obama administration. This is the second time the Trump Administration has proposed gutting the agency.
A new report assembled by the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has identified more than 500 potential conflicts of interest in President Trump's first year. First, the report notes, Trump spent 122 days at his properties during his first year. He has been accompanied by 70 federal officials and 30 members of Congress. "Second, far from this signaled access to power being an empty promise, those who patronize President Trump’s businesses have, in fact, gained access to the president and his inner circle." Lastly, about 40 special interest groups and 11 foreign governments have held events at Trump properties.