Gunshots have been fired outside of the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington.
National Journal has confirmed that the incident began at the White House when a car attempted to crash one of the barriers on an outer perimeter of the White House. That sparked a brief and complete lockdown of the White House, with a heightened security presence and a pushback of all tourists on Pennsylvania Avenue.
At a press conference Thursday night, the Capitol Police confirmed that the suspect was killed and that there was a one-year-old child in the car. The child did not sustain injuries and is now in protective custory, according to Capitol Police.
CNN reports that all shots came from law enforcement.
At an evening press conference, Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine said that one officer, a 23-year veteran of the force, was injured during a crash crash and is now in good stable condition. “I personally spoke with the officer and he is doing well,” he said at an evening press conference.
The investigation is ongoing. Officials did not answer questions about the suspect Thursday night, but had said earlier that “we have no information that this is related to terrorism or that this is related to anything other than an isolated incident.”
The House went into recess a little before 2:30 p.m. and restarted floor activity at 3:30 p.m. Following a brief moment of silence, members returned to discussion of the House GOP funding bills.
The president was briefed on the incident this afternoon.
Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., was in his office in the Hart Building when he heard, “pop, pop, pop, and then pop again.” He thought it was the start of construction and thought, “God, I don’t need this all afternoon.” He said he soon found out that it was gunfire and that he then welcomed 10-15 Capitol visitors to his office when the lockdown order was given.
“I didn’t get my Marine sword down to do battle,” Roberts said. “But I was ready to.”
House Minority Leader Pelosi, D-Calif., spoke to reporters and members outside the House chamber.
“There were gunshots,” she said, moving from member to member sitting outside the chamber.
Initially, upon word of the alert, security personnel in the chamber immediately slammed shut and locked the doors to the lobby outside, with reporters and some of the members inside.
Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y., told reporters he assumed any gunshots were intended at members.
On the balcony by the speaker’s lobby, Rep. Gerald Connolly, D-Va., tells National Journal that “we could not see anybody nor hear flashes, but we could distinctly hear it sounded like fireworks, a big fireworks display and then we realized it’s not fireworks. And then we realized it sounded more like the first volley of a 21 gun salute. 7,7,7, because it was very close together, a very loud burst.”
Reporters and people at the Capitol were initially told to shelter in place, but that order was lifted before 3. At that point, there were NCIS and FBI officers on the scene.
Rob Fox, a furloughed EPA employee who came to the Capitol to protest the shutdown, said that he saw a car “on the ramp that goes directly up to the steps of the Capitol and it stopped right behind the barricades.”
Dylan Price, 30, was standing on First Street between Independence and Constitution Avenues when he heard four or five pops. As one barricade was raised, a police car got snagged and flipped over.
Here are updates from Congress on Twitter:
Shots fired outside the Capitol. We are in temporary lock down.— Claire McCaskill (@clairecmc) October 3, 2013
There had been some short of shooting here at the capital, we r on lockdown awaiting more info— Jared Polis (@jaredpolis) October 3, 2013
I am told shooter has been arrested. House floor activity stopped for now.— Tim Griffin (@TimGriffinAR2) October 3, 2013
We’ll get you all the information we have as it comes in from our reporters on the Hill.
What We're Following See More »
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."
"Federal regulators on Thursday delayed a vote on a proposal to reshape the television market by freeing consumers from cable box rentals, putting into doubt a plan that has pitted technology companies against cable television providers. ... The proposal will still be considered for a future vote. But Tom Wheeler, chairman of the F.C.C., said commissioners needed more discussions."
"The Supreme Court is taking up a First Amendment clash over the government’s refusal to register offensive trademarks, a case that could affect the Washington Redskins in their legal fight over the team name. The justices agreed Thursday to hear a dispute involving an Asian-American rock band called the Slants, but they did not act on a separate request to hear the higher-profile Redskins case at the same time." Still, any precedent set by the case could have ramifications for the Washington football team.
The Hollywood Reporter takes a look at a little-known intersection of politics and entertainment, in which Trump campaign CEO Steve Bannon is still raking in residuals from Seinfeld. Here's the digest version: When Seinfeld was in its infancy, Ted Turner was in the process of acquiring its production company, Castle Rock, but he was under-capitalized. Bannon's fledgling media company put up the remaining funds, and he agreed to "participation rights" instead of a fee. "Seinfeld has reaped more than $3 billion in its post-network afterlife through syndication deals." Meanwhile, Bannon is "still cashing checks from Seinfeld, and observers say he has made nearly 25 times more off the Castle Rock deal than he had anticipated."