Police Arrest Congressmen, Protesters at Immigration Rally Outside Capitol

Rep. John Lewis and others were cuffed and escorted out of a gathering of nearly 20,000 Tuesday afternoon.

Protesters hold up signs and an American flag during a rally in support of immigration reform Tuesday on the National Mall.
National Journal
Elahe Izadi
See more stories about...
Elahe Izadi
Oct. 8, 2013, 12:54 p.m.

While talk over the gov­ern­ment shut­down and the debt ceil­ing raged in­side the Cap­it­ol, out­side a num­ber of Demo­crat­ic law­makers were get­ting ar­res­ted in what they dubbed as an act of civil dis­obedi­ence.

Reps. Lu­is Gu­ti­er­rez, Keith El­lis­on, Joseph Crow­ley, Al Green, and John Lewis were among the ar­res­ted, as crowds bel­lowed Si se puede! The ar­res­ted, in­clud­ing oth­er pro­test­ers, were led away in zip-wire hand­cuffs by Cap­it­ol Po­lice, which have been on the job but for­go­ing pay since the gov­ern­ment shut down. It was all a planned por­tion of a massive im­mig­ra­tion rally that began on the Na­tion­al Mall on Tues­day morn­ing. Or­gan­izers es­tim­ated 20,000 pro­test­ers at­ten­ded at the peak of the rally.

The law­makers will each need to post a $50 fine, and there will likely be an Eth­ics Com­mit­tee re­port gen­er­ated as a res­ult of the in­cid­ent, ac­cord­ing to one aide. The ex­act reas­on for their ar­rests is not yet known.

House Demo­crats in­tro­duced last week an im­mig­ra­tion pro­pos­al that would re­move a con­tro­ver­sial bor­der se­cur­ity meas­ure from a com­pre­hens­ive bill ap­proved by the Sen­ate in June.

Watch a tour bus caught near the crowds:

Pho­tos from the rally:

Law­makers, in­clud­ing Rep. Joseph Crow­ley, D-N.Y., (back, cen­ter), Keith El­lis­on, DFL-Minn., (cen­ter), Rep. Lu­is Gu­ti­er­rez, D-Ill. (to his right) and Rep. Al Green, D-Texas, joined thou­sands of pro­test­ers Tues­day on the Na­tion­al Mall. (Elahe Iz­adi)

Cap­it­ol Po­lice es­cort a hand­cuffed Rep. Joseph Crow­ley, D-N.Y. from a rally in sup­port of im­mig­ra­tion re­form out­side the Cap­it­ol Tues­day af­ter­noon. (Elahe Iz­adi)

Or­gan­izers es­tim­ated 20,000 pro­test­ers at­ten­ded the rally at its peak Tues­day. (Elahe Iz­adi)

What We're Following See More »
AT LEAST NOT YET
Paul Ryan Can’t Get Behind Trump
12 hours ago
THE LATEST

Paul Ryan told CNN today he's "not ready" to back Donald Trump at this time. "I'm not there right now," he said. Ryan said Trump needs to unify "all wings of the Republican Party and the conservative movement" and then run a campaign that will allow Americans to "have something that they're proud to support and proud to be a part of. And we've got a ways to go from here to there."

Source:
STAFF PICKS
Trump Roadmapped His Candidacy in 2000
14 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

The Daily Beast has unearthed a piece that Donald Trump wrote for Gear magazine in 2000, which anticipates his 2016 sales pitch quite well. "Perhaps it's time for a dealmaker who can get the leaders of Congress to the table, forge consensus, and strike compromise," he writes. Oddly, he opens by defending his reputation as a womanizer: "The hypocrites argue that a man who loves and appreciates beautiful women (and does so legally and openly) shouldn't become a national leader? Is there something wrong with appreciating beautiful women? Don't we want people in public office who show signs of life?"

Source:
‘NO MORAL OR ETHICAL GROUNDING’
Sen. Murphy: Trump Shouldn’t Get Classified Briefigs
14 hours ago
THE LATEST
JOINS BUSHES, MCCAIN
Romney to Skip Convention
15 hours ago
THE LATEST

An aide to Mitt Romney confirmed to the Washington Post that the 2102 GOP nominee will not attend the Republican convention this year. He joins the two living Republican presidents, George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush, as well as 2008 nominee John McCain in skipping the event. Even among living Republican nominees, that leaves only Bob Dole who could conceivably show up. Dole did say in January that he'd prefer Trump to Ted Cruz, but his age (92) could keep him from attending.

Source:
#NEVERTRUMP
Sen. Sasse Calls for a Third Candidate
18 hours ago
THE LATEST

Sen. Ben Sasse, the most prominent elected official to declare that he's #NeverTrump, wrote an open letter on Facebook to the "majority of Americans who wonder why the nation that put a man on the moon can’t find a healthy leader who can take us forward together." Calling to mind recent conversations at a Fremont, Neb., Walmart, the senator pitted the presumptive general election battle between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton as such a "terrible choice" that there would be an appetite for another candidate to emerge. In a parenthetical aside to reporters, Sasse ruled himself out. "Such a leader should be able to campaign 24/7 for the next six months," he wrote. "Therefore he/she likely can’t be an engaged parent with little kids." Meanwhile, his colleague Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) admitted in a private recording obtained by Politico that Trump hurts his reelection chances.

Source:
×