Speaker John Boehner, his top House GOP lieutenants, and some House committee chairmen are headed to the White House on Thursday for talk with the president on the government shutdown and the looming deadline on raising the nation’s ability to borrow.
The entire 233-member House GOP conference was to be invited, according to a Boehner spokesman. But the decision was to send a small group.
“Nine days into a government shutdown and a week away from breaching the debt ceiling, a meeting is only worthwhile if it is focused on finding a solution,” said the spokesman, Brendan Buck.
“It is our hope that this will be a constructive meeting and that the president finally recognizes Americans expect their leaders to be able to sit down and resolve their differences,” said Buck.
The timing of the meeting will be announced by the White House, he said.
Meanwhile, the White House issued a statement that showed its disapproval of Boehner’s decision to limit the Republicans who come to the White House.
“President Obama is disappointed that Speaker Boehner is preventing his members from coming to the White House,” said Jay Carney, White House press secretary. “The President thought it was important to talk directly with the members who forced this economic crisis on the country about how the shutdown and a failure to pay the country’s bills could devastate the economy. The President will talk to anyone anytime and looks forward to their visit to the White House, but will not pay the Republicans ransom for doing their job. If the Republicans want to have a real discussion they should open the government and take the threat of default off the table.”
Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., Republican Conference Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wash., Budget Chairman Paul Ryan, R-Wis., Ways and Means Chairman David Camp, R-Mich., Appropriations Chairman Harold Rodgers, R-Ky., Rules Committee Chairman Pete Sessions, R-Tex., and 10 others.
What We're Following See More »
Donald Trump is set to issue a new and more focused executive order clarifying the scope of his travel ban, hoping that the order will survive legal challenges. The new order would focus on the same seven countries, "but would only bar entry to those without a visa and who have never entered the United States before. Unlike the original order, people from those countries who already have permanent U.S. residency (green cards) or visas would not face any restrictions." Some lawyers believe the government will now have much stronger standing, though lawyers who challenged the initial order see the same core problems with the forthcoming ban.
"President Donald Trump announced Monday that Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster will serve as his next national security adviser, filling the void left last week by the sudden dismissal of Michael Flynn. ... Retired Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg, who had been serving as the acting national security adviser since Flynn's exit, will return to his role as chief of staff of the National Security Council." The pick was widely praised on both sides of the aisle.
"Ret. Vice Adm. Bob Harward turned down President Donald Trump's offer to be national security adviser Thursday, depriving the administration of a top candidate for a critical foreign policy post days after Trump fired Michael Flynn." Among the potential reasons: his family, his lack of assurances that he could build his own team, and that "the White House seems so chaotic."