Has the shutdown ruined our ability to detect asteroids? Not really. But that hasn’t stopped publications around the Web from running alarmist headlines suggesting as much.
“NASA Shuts Down ‘Asteroid Watch’ In Wake Of US Government Crisis” reads a story published by HuffPost UK. “NASA asteroid watch closes due to government shutdown,” reads another. “If an asteroid starts hurtling toward Earth,” wrote one Fox News reporter in a recent story ““¦ well “¦ good luck.”
The alarmist stories are based on a single tweet from NASA’s Near Earth Object Office’s @AsteroidWatch twitter account.
In the event of government shutdown, we will not be posting or responding from this account. We sincerely hope to resume tweets soon.— Asteroid Watch (@AsteroidWatch) October 1, 2013
While some of those posts make clear lower down in the story that their headlines are actually about nothing more than the temporary closing of a twitter account, others never get there or maybe don’t even realize it. The fact of the matter is that the office remains operational with the exception of social media.
“The NASA-funded surveys, which are tasked with discovery of near-Earth objects, continue to operate,” DC Agle, spokesperson for NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, told National Journal in an email. “The NASA-funded Minor Planet Center (which is the clearinghouse of information about new discoveries) remains in operation. The Near-Earth Object Program Office, at JPL, which determines near-Earth object orbits, remains operational as well.”
Anderson Cooper had an excellent segment on Sunday, highlighting a larger problem: the fact that scientists say there are more than a million near-Earth objects in space big enough to destroy a city but that they only know where 1 percent of them are. And it’s true, as Cooper’s segment notes, that sometimes meteors are spotted by amateurs, as was the case in February when a 150-foot-wide rock passed within a mere 17,000 miles of Earth’s surface. And the fact that 18,000 NASA employees, or 97 percent of its work force, were furloughed on last week certainly doesn’t help matters. However, you can’t make any kind of argument based on NASA’s “Asteroid Watch” program (read: twitter account) without being disingenuous.
There’s a serious conversation to be had about securing more government funds for asteroid-watch programs so that researchers aren’t so reliant on privately funded projects, and lots of people are already making it. But phony headlines about NASA supposedly closing its Near Earth Object Office don’t make the cut.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.