Oil executive Harold Hamm, who made billions tapping the vast Bakken oil field in North Dakota before other companies saw the potential, sounded a pessimistic tone about whether the industry will develop California’s Monterey Shale formation, which is estimated to have possibly five times more oil.
“It’s just been tough to break the code on how to get that,” said Hamm, founder and CEO of Continental Resources, an independent oil company with the largest footprint in the Bakken oil fields in Western North Dakota. “Everybody thought they could and it hasn’t worked out.”
He added that the field, which is located in the San Joaquin Valley in central California, has not yet matured to a form that companies could develop with today’s technologies.
Speaking at a dinner Wednesday night in Washington with media reporters and other independent-petroleum executives, Hamm said his company had considered pursuing the Monterey formation.
“We went there and thought it might have a lot of potential,” Hamm said. “I’d be out there, but I just can’t do anything different than some of the people who have already been there and made that attempt.”
The oil industry’s potential pursuit of the Monterey shale formation has triggered an intense debate over hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, in California, a drilling technique that’s helped unlock vast reserves of oil and natural gas around the country, including in North Dakota. But it’s controversial for the environmental risks associated with it, including water contamination.
Last month, California’s Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown passed a law regulating fracking.
Called a “pioneer” by Interior Secretary Sally Jewell this summer for his early insight into the oil industry’s potential in North Dakota, Hamm’s glum outlook for the Monterey doesn’t bode well for producers looking to tap into it.
“I don’t see — ” Hamm stopped mid-sentence and recast what he said: “It’s yet to be seen”¦It might have a lot of potential, but there are reasons why it’s not being produced.”
What We're Following See More »
The National Defense Authorization Act passed the House this morning by a 375-34 vote. The bill, which heads to the Senate next week for final consideration, would fund the military to the tune of $618.7 billion, "about $3.2 billion more than the president requested for fiscal 2017. ... The White House has issued a veto threat on both the House and Senate-passed versions of the bill, but has not yet said if it will sign the compromise bill released by the conference committee this week."
"Republicans have elected Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR) the next chairman of the powerful House Energy and Commerce Committee. Walden defeated Reps. John Shimkus (R-IL) and Joe Barton (R-TX), the former committee chairman, in the race for the gavel" to succeed Michgan's Fred Upton.
"Democratic and Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee are working on legislation that would limit deportations" under President-elect Donald Trump. Leading the effort are Judiciary Committee members Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC). Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is also expected to sign on.
Donald Trump has selected retired Marine Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis as his secretary of defense, according to The Washington Post. Mattis retired from active duty just four years ago, so Congress will have "to pass new legislation to bypass a federal law that states secretaries of defense must not have been on active duty in the previous seven years." The official announcement is likely to come next week.