A senior Iranian diplomat on Tuesday said technical specialists from his country would speak with counterparts from six governments after Tehran confers separately with a U.N. agency on potentially clearing the way for a stalled nuclear probe, ITAR-Tass reported.
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said either Vienna or Geneva would likely host the expert-level talks, where Iran would confer with the five permanent U.N. Security Council member nations and Germany over details for a possible plan to defuse international tensions over Tehran’s nuclear program.
The meeting’s precise timing remains undecided, Araqchi said on Monday in comments reported by state-run Press TV. However, a senior U.S. official recently told reporters the expert meeting would take place before Nov. 7, when diplomats from Iran and the so-called “P-5+1” nations are slated to begin two days of political discussions on the dispute. The latter gathering would follow up on a Oct. 16-17 multilateral meeting in Geneva.
Iran insists its atomic effort is peaceful, but Western powers believe it is geared toward development of a nuclear-bomb capability.
Araqchi said the expert-level talks would take place after Iranian diplomats meet with counterparts from the International Atomic Energy Agency, which wants to investigate signs that the Middle Eastern nation once may have engaged in scientific activities relevant to atomic-arms development. The IAEA meeting is scheduled for Oct. 28-29, Iran’s Fars News Agency quoted the Iranian diplomat as saying on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a top Iranian nuclear official said his nation plans in three months to begin producing uranium oxide fuel for use in its Bushehr nuclear power plant, the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency reported. To date, the atomic facility has operated with fuel provided by Russia.
What We're Following See More »
Under pressure from a judge, the State Department will release about 550 of Hillary Clinton’s emails—“roughly 14 percent of the 3,700 remaining Clinton emails—on Saturday, in the middle of the Presidents Day holiday weekend.” All of the emails were supposed to have been released last month. Related: State subpoenaed the Clinton Foundation last year, which brings the total number of current Clinton investigations to four, says the Daily Caller.
UPDATED: Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) will not be playing the role of Ralph Nader in this year’s election. Speaking in Dallas today, Webb said, “We looked at the possibility of an independent candidacy. Theoretically, it could be done, but it is enormously costly and time sensitive, and I don’t see the fundraising trajectory where we could make a realistic run.”
“The leaders of the Republican and Democratic national committees on Wednesday weighed in on the prospect of an independent presidential run by” former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I). “DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz suggested that the former New York City mayor’s priorities are already ‘well cared-for’ in the Democratic platform, while RNC leader Reince Priebus welcomed the idea, saying Bloomberg would siphon off votes from the Democratic candidate.”
Three hundred fifty-two, thanks to superdelegates pledged to Clinton, and the vagaries of the delegate allocation process in early states. Not bad, considering her results have been a virtual tie and a blowout loss.