The information-technology officials testifying at a House Oversight and Government Reform hearing Wednesday were reserved in their confidence that the Obamacare federal exchange website would in fact be repaired by the end of November.
“The goal that has been laid out is for the site not to be perfect, but for the vast majority to be able to use it,” White House Chief Technology Officer Todd Park said at the hearing. “It’s a goal we’re gunning for, and we’re working very hard get there.”
The administration had set the end of November as the goal to have HealthCare.gov running smoothly for the vast majority of users. Repairs are being made around the clock, but confidence may be dwindling for how fully functional the site will be.
An official told The Washington Post that persistent problems mean that the site is unlikely to be fully functional by Nov. 30, though the White House maintains the goal is still achievable.
Time is running short for both consumers and insurers to figure out their coverage options. The deadline to enroll for coverage that is effective Jan. 1 is Dec. 15.
Cancellation letters from insurance companies are adding extra strain to the situation. If individuals whose plans are canceled are not able to enroll in new coverage by mid-December, they will be uninsured until they are able to sign up.
Amid the growing pressure, even Democratic lawmakers are increasingly supporting legislation that would continue canceled policies at least another year.
At the House hearing, Reps. James Lankford, R-Okla., and Michelle Lujan Grisham, D-N.M., addressed the coverage gap that could occur if the website is not fixed soon.
“We’ve been fighting a long time in New Mexico to find ways to access affordable health care. I need, we need, our constituents need the website to work,” said Grisham, who noted that nearly 25 percent of people in her state are uninsured. “The end of November leaves very little room for error. I know it’s not easy, but I want to make sure for the record that there’s real urgency here.”
Asked whether he felt that same urgency, Park answered, “Absolutely.”
Yet when asked repeatedly by members of the committee whether he could be certain the site would be functioning by Nov. 30, Park avoided making any promises. “The team is working really hard to hit that goal, and that’s what I’m able to say right now,” he said.
“As a former Web developer that’s what I was telling clients when we were going to miss a deadline,” remarked Rep. Blake Farenthold, R-Texas.
What We're Following See More »
"Rudy Giuliani said Friday that special counsel Robert Mueller has agreed to narrow the scope of a potential interview with President Donald Trump from five topics to two. The former New York City mayor, who is now one of Trump's lawyers in the Russia investigation, told CNN's Chris Cuomo on New Day that Mueller is not considering asking the President about his former personal attorney Michael Cohen, who's under investigation in New York over his business dealings."
Michael Cohen's financial records, given to the media last week, were leaked by a law enforcement official who "had grown alarmed after being unable to find two important reports on Cohen’s financial activity in a government database. The official, worried that the information was being withheld from law enforcement, released the remaining documents." He told the New Yorker: "This is a terrifying time to be an American."
"President Donald Trump said he was working with Chinese President Xi Jinping to keep ZTE Corp. in business, throwing an extraordinary lifeline to the Chinese telecommunication giant that has been laid low by U.S. moves to cut off its suppliers. The surprise intervention comes less than a month after ZTE was hit with an order banning U.S. companies from selling components to the Chinese business."