The United States will hold another round of talks with East Asian countries next week on how to engage North Korea over its nuclear weapons program — the latest in a series of seemingly interminable discussions on the matter, the Yonhap News Agency reported on Friday.
U.S. special envoy for North Korea policy Glyn Davies is slated to travel to Beijing on Tuesday to meet with China’s senior nuclear negotiator, Wu Dawei. After that, Davies will travel to South Korea and Japan for further discussions on North Korea, wrapping up his Asia tour on Nov. 25, according to a U.S. State Department announcement.
Wu was in Washington just a few weeks ago to meet with Davies. The Chinese diplomat reportedly offered some suggestions of things North Korea could do in order for the long-stalled multinational aid-for-denuclearization negotiations to be resumed. Unnamed diplomatic insiders, however, said the Obama administration refused to accept anything less than its long-standing demand that Pyongyang offer hardcore proof of its willingness to permanently give up its nuclear weapons program.
In spite of China’s concerted efforts to bring about a resumption of the six-nation nuclear talks, North Korea through its actions is not indicating it is especially interested in returning to negotiations at this time, according to Council on Foreign Relations Senior Fellow for Korea Studies Scott Snyder.
In recent months and weeks, Pyongyang has been seen to be growing its nuclear weapons program — restarting a formerly dismantled plutonium-production reactor, expanding its atomic testing grounds and building new facilities at its long-range missile launch site. At the same time, the North has said it is willing to return to nuclear talks with China, Japan, Russia, South Korea and the United States — but only if there are no preconditions.
“I think that it’s pretty clear at this moment that the D.P.R.K. publicly continues to say the same thing over and over again that it would not accept preconditions,” Snyder told Yonhap. “[This] suggests that they are not interested right now in coming back to the six-party talks.”
A senior government official separately told Yonhap participants in the six-nation negotiations have not yet aligned their views on how the talks should be reconstituted.
“I would say it make take some time as the countries continue to narrow their differences on the preconditions for resumption,” the anonymous official said.
What We're Following See More »
Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump 49%-44% in a new CNN/ORC poll out Monday afternoon. But it's Gary Johnson's performance, or lack thereof, that's the real story. Johnson, who had cleared 10% in some surveys earlier this fall, as he made a bid to qualify for the debates, is down to 3% support. He must hit 5% nationwide for the Libertarian Party to qualify for some federal matching funds in future elections.
While the organization praised him for being "perhaps the most pro-LGBT presidential nominee in the history of the Republican Party," the Log Cabin Republicans refused to endorse Donald Trump for president. The organization, which is the largest gay organization in the United States, said that Trump failed to earn its endorsement because he surrounded himself with anti-LGBTQ people "and committed himself to supporting legislation such as the so-called 'First Amendment Defense Act' that Log Cabin Republicans opposes."
Energy Secretary Ernesto Moniz is warning Congress "that Congress and businesses need to act with more urgency to work out a medley of challenges in promoting nuclear power." A number of nuclear plants are currently on track to close around 2030, unless their licenses are extended from 60 years to 80 years, something that could jeopardize the success of the Clean Power Plan. Moniz called on Congress to pass legislation creating interim storage facilities for used nuclear power.
Donald Trump has said he received a $17 million insurance payment in 2005 following Hurricane Wilma, which he claimed did severe damage to his private club in Florida. However, an Associated Press investigation could not find any evidence of the large-scale damage that Trump has mentioned. Additionally, Trump claimed that he transferred some of the $17 million to his personal account thanks to a "very good insurance policy."