RHODE ISLAND | RI-gov

Feroce Decides to Run

The embattled businessman hasn’t filed.

Zach C. Cohen
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Zach C. Cohen
Jan. 3, 2018, 9:52 a.m.

Businessman Giovanni Feroce (R) announced Monday he will run for governor.

Feroce: “My New Year’s resolution is to become your next Governor. I will change your life and we will become the new standard for all Americans to look up to.” (Twitter)

“Feroce does not appear to have a campaign account registered with the Board of Elections yet.” (Providence Journal)

“Feroce has not yet announced what party he will be running under, though he is expected to seek the Republican nomination.” (WPRI)

BACKGROUND. “Just a few years ago, the West Warwick native basked in national attention, touting his work as chief executive officer at Alex and Ani. Then, in March 2014, he was abruptly ousted from the multimillion-dollar Cranston jewelry company. Within a few months, he said he had big plans.

“Feroce bought BENRUS, a military-style watch brand, and promised to create a global billion-dollar fashion brand. He also launched a semipro basketball team, took over a local advertorial magazine, started an investment firm, bankrolled local musicians, invested in a Florida nightclub, sponsored a golf tournament and was featured in a pitch for a business-reality TV show, calling himself ‘The Fixer.’

“Today, Feroce’s empire is circled by creditors. Former employees, the IRS, the City of Newport and a handful of vendors have filed liens and lawsuits. The nightclub went bankrupt, the magazine folded and BENRUS needs new capital. His Newport mansion is leveraged to the hilt, and his few remaining employees are paid only in shares. Personally, he says he feels betrayed by those who’ve left and filed lawsuits. He calls them ‘disloyal’ and ‘weak.’”

Feroce: “I get extremely offended by anybody who [expletive] questions me. OK? Because I do nothing but put me, my family, my children, all of us, on the line to help the state of Rhode Island.” (Providence Journal)

What We're Following See More »
POTENTIAL CONTEMPT CHARGE
Nadler: Goodlatte Could Subpoena Rosenstein
3 days ago
THE LATEST

"The top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee says Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., is poised to subpoena the Justice Department for former FBI Director James Comey’s memos, which the agency so far has failed to produce. Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., warned such a move puts Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in jeopardy of being placed in contempt of Congress and the special counsel investigation of being shut down prematurely."

Source:
NO NEW FUNDING INCLUDED
House Ag Committee Passes Farm Bill
4 days ago
THE DETAILS
"On a party-line vote, the House Agriculture Committee approved a five-year farm bill on Wednesday that tweaks the supports now in place—a promise of certainty, leaders said, during a period of low commodity prices and threats of a trade war with agriculture on the front line." The bill includes no new funding over the last farm bill.
Source:
WOULD ASSURE ANYONE PARDONED BY TRUMP CAN BE PROSECUTED BY STATE
Schneiderman Urges NY Lawmakers to Close “Double Jeopardy Loophole”
4 days ago
THE LATEST
INTRO’d LAST NIGHT
Ryan Tamps Down AUMF Talk
5 days ago
THE LATEST

Referring to the AUMF introduced by Sens. Tim Kaine and Bob Corker Monday evening, House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday "he won’t allow any bill to come to the House floor that he thinks would restrict military commanders’ ability to fight." Ryan "defended the legality of U.S. military strikes last week against chemical weapons-related sites in Syria, saying President Trump had the authority to order them under the Constitution’s Article II commander-in-chief powers."

PROSECUTORS WILL GET FIRST LOOK
Judge Denies Requests by Cohen, Trump
6 days ago
THE LATEST

Attorneys for both President Trump and his attorney Michael Cohen lost a court challenge today, as they sought to suppress evidence gathered in a raid of Cohen's office and hotel room. "U.S. District Court Judge Kimba Wood denied the requests and ruled that prosecutors will get first access to the information, followed by Cohen’s defense team ten days later. Wood noted that she has not yet decided whether she will appoint a special master in the case at all."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login