As the White House’s We the People petition site enters its fourth calendar year, many petitioners are still waiting for the response they were promised.
There are currently 30 We the People petitions that have crossed the threshold for an official White House reply but not yet gotten one, including eight that have been waiting more than one year. Those unanswered petitions have been waiting nearly 10 months on average for a reply, according to a Nextgov analysis.
One of those petitions, seeking to require labeling of all genetically modified foods, has been waiting since just one month after We the People launched On Sept. 23, 2011.
On that launch day President Obama described We the People as a “a direct line to the White House on the issues and concerns that matter most” and promised White House officials would respond to any petition that received 5,000 signatures or more. That threshold grew to 25,000 and then 100,000 signatures as the site became more popular.
Officials have posted 134 responses Since We the People launched, often responding to multiple petitions at once. The site has received mixed reviews from petitioners. Some have complained that the White House posts pro forma responses and rarely seems to take petitions into consideration when formulating policy changes. Others have said they were glad to use We the People as a platform to raise awareness about an issue.
The unanswered petitions include one asking the president to fire the U.S. Attorney who led the prosecution of Internet activist Aaron Swartz and one to pardon the National Security Agency documents leaker Edward Snowden. Swartz committed suicide before facing trial and Snowden has received temporary asylum in Russia.
The total number of unanswered petitions has dropped since the White House raised the threshold to 100,000 signatures in January 2013 but the average wait time for unanswered petitions has grown significantly longer.
Petitions that had crossed the threshold but not received a response around the time the threshold was raised had been waiting about two months on average.
Among the reasons for raising the threshold, the White House cited a desire to provide timelier and higher quality petition responses.
Of the 30 unanswered petitions currently posted to We the People, 11 were posted after the threshold was raised to 100,000 signatures and 19 were posted before the threshold was raised to that level.
Unanswered petitions posted after the threshold hike have been waiting 103 days for a response on average.
Unanswered petitions posted before and after the threshold hike have been waiting 298 days, on average, for a response. That’s essentially unchanged from an August 2013 review by Eli Dourado, a technology research fellow at George Mason University’s Mercatus Center. Dourado’s review found 29 unanswered petitions that had been waiting 306 days on average.
More from Nextgov, our sister site:
What We're Following See More »
"The Trump administration is proposing a budget it says will increase defense spending by $54 billion and cut non-defense spending by the same amount. The White House is sending a topline budget proposal reflecting those figures to federal agencies on Monday afternoon, according to an Office of Management and Budget official." An unnamed OMB official said most federal agencies would face cutbacks.
Donald Trump announced in a tweet on Saturday that he would not attend the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in April. The move did not come as a surprise, another moment in his ongoing battle with the media, which he has dubbed the "enemy" of the American people and repeatedly refers to as "fake news." Multiple outlets have already cancelled their events surrounding the dinner and several are considering skipping the event outright.
Phillip Bilden, Donald Trump's nominee for Navy secretary, has decided to withdraw his nomination after he was unable to sufficiently untangle his financial commitments. Bilden follows Vincent Viola, who withdrew his nomination for Army secretary.
"The FBI rejected a recent White House request to publicly knock down media reports about communications between Donald Trump's associates and Russians known to US intelligence during the 2016 presidential campaign, multiple US officials briefed on the matter tell CNN. But a White House official said late Thursday that the request was only made after the FBI indicated to the White House it did not believe the reporting to be accurate."