A cash-strapped U.S. effort to develop new uranium-enrichment technology is receiving $62 million in federal assistance, the New York Times reports.
The fiscal 2014 spending bill signed into law this month sets aside nuclear-weapons funds for work on new equipment at the USEC’s American Centrifuge Plant in Ohio, the newspaper reported on Monday. The domestic design of the experimental machines might someday give them a crucial role in manufacturing tritium, a hydrogen isotope critical for boosting the explosive power of U.S. nuclear arms.
This month’s omnibus appropriations legislation also gives the Energy Department an additional $56 million that might eventually go to USEC. The company — the only uranium-enrichment enterprise headquartered in the United States — in December said it planned to file for bankruptcy early this year.
The Obama administration so far has rejected USEC’s requests for a federally backed $2 billion loan in support of the centrifuge initiative. Such an arrangement would require the government to assume responsibility for the expense if the company cannot pay back the borrowed funds.
The Energy Department has said USEC must finalize acquisition deals for building the new centrifuges before such financial support could be possible, according to the Times. In addition, the firm must convince Energy Department officials that its equipment could operate for years with almost no problem.
After potentially receiving $2 billion under a lending plan with Washington, USEC would still have to pull together an equal amount from other sources, the newspaper said.
The company has argued that its centrifuges would have an edge over technology used by Urenco, a European firm with an enrichment plant in New Mexico.
“The Urenco machine is reaching the end of its development maturity in terms of efficiencies and cost,” USEC spokesman Paul Jacobson told the Times in an e-mail. “In contrast, the American Centrifuge machine is in the early stages of its technological development, value engineering and cost efficiencies.”
What We're Following See More »
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."
Today in bad news for Donald Trump:
- Newsweek found that a company he controlled did business with Cuba under Fidel Castro "despite strict American trade bans that made such undertakings illegal, according to interviews with former Trump executives, internal company records and court filings." In 1998, he spent at least $68,000 there, which was funneled through a consluting company "to make it appear legal."
- The Los Angeles Times reports that at a golf club he owns in California, Trump ordered that unattractive female staff be fired and replaced with prettier women.