“The state House voted not to proceed with the congressional primary March 15 and instead hold it June 7. … [I]n a major change, the House proposal also said no runoff elections would be held in March or June. Currently, if no candidate gets 40 percent of the vote, a second primary is held. … In another twist, candidates who won a March 15 primary then could file to run for a congressional seat June 7. If they won in both primaries, they would have to withdraw from one, within a week after the June 7 results were certified. … The House voted 71-32, mostly along party lines, to make the changes. The Senate is expected to approve them Friday.”
Earlier Thursday, the state Senate approved a redrawn congressional map. The House is expected vote on it Friday. (Raleigh News & Observer)
Meanwhile, the “Supreme Court remained silent Friday as a deadline approached for a lower court order requiring North Carolina to redraw the boundaries of two Congressional districts for this year’s elections, including the primary planned for March 15.” (Politico)
DOWN-BALLOT EFFECTS. If the new map is adopted, some Republicans speculate that Rep. George Holding (R-13) would run in Rep. Renee Ellmers’s (R-02) district, setting up an incumbent vs. incumbent primary. Ellmers plans to run in the 2nd District regardless, her adviser said.
The new lines also draw out most of Ellmers’s primary challengers, including former Chatham County GOP Chair Jim Duncan (R). Duncan’s spokesman said he’s still planning to run against Ellmers until a decision is made.
“Meanwhile, the new 13th District, one GOP operative in the state said, may look appealing to state Sen. Andrew Brock (R), whose legislative district overlaps with the proposed new lines.” (Roll Call)
What We're Following See More »
"Rudy Giuliani said Friday that special counsel Robert Mueller has agreed to narrow the scope of a potential interview with President Donald Trump from five topics to two. The former New York City mayor, who is now one of Trump's lawyers in the Russia investigation, told CNN's Chris Cuomo on New Day that Mueller is not considering asking the President about his former personal attorney Michael Cohen, who's under investigation in New York over his business dealings."
Michael Cohen's financial records, given to the media last week, were leaked by a law enforcement official who "had grown alarmed after being unable to find two important reports on Cohen’s financial activity in a government database. The official, worried that the information was being withheld from law enforcement, released the remaining documents." He told the New Yorker: "This is a terrifying time to be an American."
"President Donald Trump said he was working with Chinese President Xi Jinping to keep ZTE Corp. in business, throwing an extraordinary lifeline to the Chinese telecommunication giant that has been laid low by U.S. moves to cut off its suppliers. The surprise intervention comes less than a month after ZTE was hit with an order banning U.S. companies from selling components to the Chinese business."