Thirteen personnel at a New Mexico nuclear-waste site were found to have been exposed to heightened radiation after contaminants escaped into the air.
The signs showed up in biological materials collected from staffers on duty in subterranean portions of the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant on Feb. 14, when an automated sensor detected airborne radioactive particles inside the New Mexico complex, the Associated Press reports. The incident came 10 days after an equipment fire at the site, though a Wednesday New York Times report suggested the events were not related.
No external indications of contaminants were discovered on workers on the day of the alert, AP reported. But biological samples were collected and initially tested to determine if workers had breathed in radioactive materials.
“[Affected] employees, both federal and contractor, will be asked to provide additional samples in order to fully determine the extent of any exposure,” says a Wednesday press release from the U.S. Energy Department and the Nuclear Waste Partnership, the storage facility’s private operator.
A Thursday afternoon press conference is expected at which Energy and contracting officials are to address the matter.
Overseers have said air tests indicate that the airborne contaminants came from a broken waste tank, though an in-person assessment would be necessary to identify the rupture’s source, AP reported. A tank breach could have occurred if any site roofing had fallen in, or if a forklift had mistakenly pierced a container, Nuclear Waste Partnership head Farok Sharif said earlier this week.
Additional weeks may pass before employees re-enter the facility’s below-ground storage area, the wire service quoted site administrators as saying.
The Energy Department previously confirmed that a quantity of radioactive contaminants had also reached the site’s surface. However, Wednesday’s Times report quoted facility staff and independent experts saying those amounts were minimal and ruling out any health impact for nearby residents. The waste facility is located less than 30 miles from the town of Carlsbad, N.M.
What We're Following See More »
"The Obama administration on Tuesday called on U.S. states to ban agreements prohibiting many workers from moving to their employers’ rivals, saying it would lead to a more competitive labor market and faster wage growth. The administration said so-called non-compete agreements interfere with worker mobility and states should consider barring companies from requiring low-wage workers and other employees who are not privy to trade secrets or other special circumstances to sign them."
House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz plans to spend "years, come January, probing the record of a President Hillary Clinton." Chaffetz told the Washington Post: “It’s a target-rich environment. Even before we get to Day One, we’ve got two years’ worth of material already lined up. She has four years of history at the State Department, and it ain’t good.”
Priorities USA, the super PAC aligned with the Clinton campaign, which has already gotten involved in two Senate races, is now expanding into House races. The group released a 30 second spot which serves to hit Donald Trump and Iowa Rep. Rod Blum, who is in a tough race to win re-election in Iowa's first congressional district. The super PAC's expansion into House and Senate races shows a high level of confidence in Clinton's standing against Trump.
Republican House leaders are planning on taking up a vote to renew the Iran Sanctions Act as soon as the lame-duck session begins in mid-November. The law, which expires on Dec. 31, permits a host of sanctions against Iran's industries, defense, and government. The renewal will likely pass the House, but its status is unclear once it reaches the Senate, and a spokesman from the White House refused to say whether President Obama would sign it into law.