The Pentagon’s budget sets up an uphill battle with Congress by requesting further domestic base closures and realignment, but the Defense Department’s top official could try to give members the slip.
As part of the department’s 2015 fiscal-year budget request, the Pentagon wants a round of base closures and realignment — known as BRAC — for U.S. bases in 2017.
“We think BRAC is a smart position to have, as you know we have called for it again, we’re going to continue work through all this,” Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said at an Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Wednesday. “I’ve got some options as secretary of Defense in law “¦ through a section of Article 10.”
The secretary didn’t specify what options he could have in regard to reducing overhead, but a House staffer suggested last month that under a provision of federal law dealing with the Defense Department, Hagel could close bases and only have to notify Congress beforehand — rather than ask its permission.
If the secretary wants to close a base with at least 300 civilian employees or cut more than 1,000, or more than 50 percent, of civilian jobs at a base, he must notify the Armed Services committees as part of the department’s annual budget request, according to federal law.
That notification must include an “evaluation of the fiscal, local economic, budgetary, environmental, strategic, and operational consequences of such closure or realignment.”
What Congress could do to stop Hagel is unclear, but Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., has pressed Pentagon officials — including Bob Work, the president’s deputy Defense secretary nominee — to clarify where any legal authority the Pentagon could have comes from.
“I believe that Congress should be in the position to approve BRAC, and there should not be a runaround done,” Ayotte said last week.
As Pentagon officials have acknowledged, members are loath to close bases that could cost jobs back in their home states and would cost money up front before savings kick in. Deputy Defense Secretary Christine Fox said before the budget was released that Defense officials were hearing that their base-closure request would be “dead on arrival.”
Rising costs from a 2005 recommendation for a round of base closure and realignment left some members of Congress hesitant to try again. A commission originally estimated that it would cost the Pentagon $21 billion to follow its recommendations, but, according to a 2012 GAO report, the cost ended up around $35.1 billion.
Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., touched on that during Wednesday’s hearing, adding that she “certainly strongly disagrees with another BRAC round at this time.”
But the Defense Department is planning to follow forthcoming recommendations to close or realign bases across Europe, which aren’t subject to congressional approval. The Pentagon has reduced its infrastructure in Europe by 30 percent since 2000.
But Shaheen suggested that members of Congress do need to know what recommendations are being made about base closures in Europe, and throughout the world, before they can consider requests to close or realign bases in their own backyards.
And Rep. Michael Turner, R-Ohio, suggested during his questioning at a House Armed Services subcommittee hearing Wednesday that the European bases are central to the military’s overall mission.
General David Rodriguez, head of the U.S. Africa Command, agreed, saying the bases are “critical for our mission in Africa.”
What We're Following See More »
Acting DEA head Robert Patterson "told staff Monday he is retiring, saying that running the agency as a temporary fill-in had become 'increasingly challenging.'"
"Top aides to President Donald Trump are planning additional crackdowns on immigration before the November midterms, despite a growing backlash over the administration’s move to separate migrant children from parents at the border. Senior policy adviser Stephen Miller and a team of officials from the Justice Department, Department of Labor, Department of Homeland Security, and the Office of Management and Budget have been quietly meeting for months to find ways to use executive authority and under-the-radar rule changes to strengthen hardline U.S. immigration policies."
"The Justice Department’s Office of Inspector General is looking into former FBI Director James Comey’s decision to give his personal memos to a friend outside the government. 'We received a referral on that from the FBI. We are handling that referral and we will issue a report when the matter is completed,' Inspector General Michael Horowitz said during testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee. The hearing came days after Horowitz’s office released a near 600-page report on the FBI’s handling of the FBI’s investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server." Comey has testified that he released the memos as "private citizen."
"Two longtime associates of President Donald Trump are now acknowledging a previously undisclosed contact in May 2016 with a Russian who they say offered dirt on Hillary Clinton. Roger Stone and Michael Caputo say they forgot to tell investigators about their contact with a Russian national who goes by the name Henry Greenberg — even though they say Greenberg offered to sell incriminating information to the Trump campaign for $2 million."
"As Trump signed a joint statement with Kim Jong Un that offered few details on how the North Korean leader would make good on his vow to denuclearize, Republicans on Capitol Hill said Tuesday that they want and expect the White House to submit any final agreement for their approval." Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell called for any agreement to be in the form of a treaty.