Israeli officials increasingly are hinting that their country could act alone to attack Iran’s atomic sites, the Associated Press reports.
Recent statements by senior Israeli politicians have raised the profile of their nation’s longstanding threat to strike Iranian nuclear installations, and could signal frustration in Israel with a multilateral dialogue on Tehran’s nuclear program, the news agency reported on Friday. Israel, the United States and several European countries suspect that Iran’s atomic activities could be directed toward arms development, a contention Tehran has denied.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered his nation’s armed forces to maintain readiness in 2014 to potentially take action against Iran’s atomic facilities, according to a Thursday news article in Haaretz. The policy reportedly is slated to cost Israel roughly $2.9 billion this year.
Separately, Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon last week suggested that Washington’s pursuit of negotiations may prompt Israel to act unilaterally against Iran.
Also last week, Israeli General Staff head Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz stressed that Iran “is not in an area that is out of the [Israeli] military’s range.”
According to former Israeli National Security Adviser Yaakov Amidror, such statements are not bluffs.
“We aren’t playing a game of neighborhood bully. This is a stated policy of the state of Israel and has been made clear … to anyone who meets Israel’s representatives,” Amidror said.
Internationally, Israel’s threats have largely fallen on deaf ears in the wake of a November nuclear accord between Iran and six world powers, according to AP. Iran accepted certain atomic restrictions in exchange for curbs on economic sanctions under the six-month deal, which was intended to lay the groundwork for a future long-term plan addressing fears about Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.
Any Israeli military strike on Iran would probably scuttle the talks and prompt an armed backlash, but it is unclear how much damage Israel could independently inflict on its regional rival, the news agency said.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.