A terminated U.S. Army facility worker faces charges for holding what was thought to be a deadly form of uranium, the Newark Star-Ledger reports.
Police detained 44-year-old Joseph Gibeau on Saturday after allegedly finding radioactive substances inside several lead-shielded containers at his home while responding to a domestic call, the newspaper reported on Tuesday. Two containers reportedly held a substance tentatively identified by authorities as uranium sulfate, a potentially lethal chemical.
“If you inhale a single particle, it’s fatal,” Sussex County First Assistant Prosecutor Gregory Mueller said. Authorities allegedly also seized a quantity of americium 241, a radioactive isotope placed in fire alarms.
The prosecutor said Gibeau may have taken the suspected uranium sulfate from Picatinny Arsenal, an Army facility in New Jersey where he was employed as a contractor until December.
“How [Gibeau] came to get this material and what he planned to do with it is still under investigation,” Mueller said.
The suspect currently faces two counts of child endangerment because the substance was “easily accessible” to his two children, ages 6 and 9, the prosecutor said during an initial court proceeding.
Martin Morrison, Gibeau’s lawyer, suggested the defendant obtained the substances to test a personal collection of radiation-measuring devices.
“Some people have a hobby of fixing cars; his hobby is Geiger counters,” Morrison said.
Terry Crummett, Gibeau’s former manager at the contract firm Chugach Industries, said “performance and behavioral issues” cost the defendant his information technical services position at Picatinny Arsenal.
The Army facility was once involved in nuclear-arms production, according to its website. However, uranium sulfate has no applications in producing atomic energy or weapons, the Star-Ledger reported.
- 1 Clinton Wins Debate, But Did She Win Over Voters?
- 2 Smart Ideas: The Most Important Election of a 96-Year-Old’s Lifetime; Clinton’s Pitch to Millennials
- 3 Senate Progressives Look to Flex Muscles in 2017
- 4 The District Where Democrats Want a Gun-Control Debate
- 5 The House Republicans Still Mum on Trump
What We're Following See More »
"It was obvious he wasn't prepared." “He only mentioned her email scandal once." "I think he took things a little too personal and missed a lot of opportunities to make very good debate points." That's just a smattering of the reactions of some elected Republicans to Donald Trump's debate performance.
The conventional wisdom is already emerging that Donald Trump opened last night's debate well, but that he faded badly down the stretch. And most viewers apparently witnessed it. "The early Nielsen data confirms that viewership stayed high the entire time. Contrary to some speculation, there was not a big drop-off after the first hour of the 98-minute debate." Final data is still being tallied, but "Monday's face-off may well have been the most-watched debate in American history. CNN and other cable news channels saw big increases over past election years. So did some of the broadcast networks."
As Congress continues to bicker on riders to a continuing resolution, federal agencies have started working with the Office of Management and Budget to prepare for a government shutdown, which will occur if no continuing resolution is passed by 11:59 p.m. on Friday night. The OMB held a call with agencies on Sept. 23, one that is required one week before a possible shutdown. The government last shut down for 16 days in 2013, and multiple shutdowns have been narrowly avoided since then. It is expected that Congress will reach a deal before the clock strikes midnight, but until it does, preparations will continue.