Workers found contaminants in higher quantities as they moved into part of a Western nuclear-waste site vacated in February, the Associated Press reports.
Crews would need to re-enter the subterranean corridors of New Mexico’s Waste Isolation Pilot Plant a fifth time to isolate the source of airborne radioactive materials detected there, according to Thursday remarks by Tammy Reynolds, deputy recovery chief for the U.S. Energy Department. Underground portions of the site have been off-limits to personnel following a contamination incident, which came days after a vehicle caught fire inside the facility.
Reynolds said U.S. personnel hope to obtain further details next week. Crew members had to end their most recent venture into the site after five hours on Wednesday, as temperatures rose inside their protective clothing and power for their breathing apparatus dwindled, AP reported.
The Energy Department official said the entry team investigated both of the facility’s waste rooms that had not previously been permanently closed off. Waste is entombed in five additional storage “panels,” but workers rendered the airtight chambers permanently inaccessible after they reached capacity.
“It doesn’t seem to us that the contamination came from Panel 6, that the source came from Panel 7,” Reynolds said. Panel 6 had been completely filled but not closed off, making the latter chamber the only area receiving waste at the time of the incident.
Personnel might receive help from robotic equipment as they attempt to determine the source of the escaped contaminants, according to AP. Suspected culprits include a waste barrel possibly punctured by moving equipment, or by or a ceiling that may have fallen.
What We're Following See More »
The National Defense Authorization Act passed the House this morning by a 375-34 vote. The bill, which heads to the Senate next week for final consideration, would fund the military to the tune of $618.7 billion, "about $3.2 billion more than the president requested for fiscal 2017. ... The White House has issued a veto threat on both the House and Senate-passed versions of the bill, but has not yet said if it will sign the compromise bill released by the conference committee this week."
"Republicans have elected Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR) the next chairman of the powerful House Energy and Commerce Committee. Walden defeated Reps. John Shimkus (R-IL) and Joe Barton (R-TX), the former committee chairman, in the race for the gavel" to succeed Michgan's Fred Upton.
"Democratic and Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee are working on legislation that would limit deportations" under President-elect Donald Trump. Leading the effort are Judiciary Committee members Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC). Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is also expected to sign on.
Donald Trump has selected retired Marine Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis as his secretary of defense, according to The Washington Post. Mattis retired from active duty just four years ago, so Congress will have "to pass new legislation to bypass a federal law that states secretaries of defense must not have been on active duty in the previous seven years." The official announcement is likely to come next week.