A proposal for Russia to supply Iran with electricity and new power facilities may undermine nuclear penalties targeting Tehran, the New York Times reports.
U.S. Treasury Department personnel did not indicate by press time whether the initiative would breach sanctions aimed at pressuring Iran to address fears about its nuclear work, the newspaper reported on Monday. The possible plan — valued at between $8 billion and $10 billion — would call for Russia to construct a number of non-nuclear power systems in the Middle Eastern nation.
Iranian Energy Minister Hamid Chitchian and his Russian equivalent Alexander Novak conferred on Sunday about the arrangement, amid talks on a separate potential plan for Russia to swap billions of dollars in nonmonetary goods for oil from the Persian Gulf country.
Moscow is one of six governments in talks with Iran on potential limits to the country’s activities capable of supporting nuclear-arms production. Tehran maintains its atomic intentions have no military element, but is pursuing the discussions in a bid to win the elimination of international economic penalties.
Meanwhile, Turkish law enforcement authorities linked officials in their country to a possible scheme to evade the sanctions through the exchange of gold, Reuters reported on Tuesday.
In related news, the International Atomic Energy Agency’s top inspections official traveled to Iran late last week for an “informal” discussion, the U.N. watchdog agency said in a Monday report by the wire service. The development came ahead of a May 15 due date for Tehran to supply details on its development of “exploding bridgewire detonators,” which have applications in civilian activities as well as nuclear-arms development.
Iranian state media said IAEA personnel would travel in the next week to the country’s Ardakan yellowcake plant and its Saghand uranium ore extraction site, Agence France-Presse reported on Tuesday. Tehran agreed in February to allow the visits.
What We're Following See More »
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) said that "there was “precedent” for a Supreme Court with fewer than nine justices—appearing to suggest that the blockade on nominee Merrick Garland could last past the election." Speaking to reporters in Colorado, Cruz said: "I would note, just recently, that Justice Breyer observed that the vacancy is not impacting the ability of the court to do its job. That’s a debate that we are going to have.”
The Democratic National Committee sued the Republican National Committee in U.S. District Court in New Jersey for aiding GOP nominee Donald Trump as he argues that the presidential election is "rigged." The DNC claims "that Trump's argument is designed to suppress the vote in minority communities."
"Two chief fundraisers for the Clinton Foundation pressed corporate donors to steer business opportunities to former President Bill Clinton as well, according to a hacked memo published Wednesday by WikiLeaks. The November 2011 memo from Douglas Band, at the time a top aide to Mr. Clinton, outlines extensive fundraising efforts that Mr. Band and a partner deployed on behalf of the Clinton Foundation and how that work sometimes translated into large speaking fees and other paid work for Mr. Clinton."
House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz plans to spend "years, come January, probing the record of a President Hillary Clinton." Chaffetz told the Washington Post: “It’s a target-rich environment. Even before we get to Day One, we’ve got two years’ worth of material already lined up. She has four years of history at the State Department, and it ain’t good.”