GOP Pushing to Speed Up Deployment of Advanced Interceptors in Poland

A Standard Missile 3 Block 1B interceptor is launched from the USS Lake Erie during an intercept test last September near Hawaii. Senate Republicans want to speed up deployment to Poland of a next-generation version of the interceptor in response to heightened East-West tensions.
National Journal
Rachel Oswald
Add to Briefcase
Rachel Oswald
May 6, 2014, 10:46 a.m.

Sen­ate Re­pub­lic­ans are push­ing for the U.S. mil­it­ary to speed up de­ploy­ment of ad­vanced in­ter­cept­ors in Po­land to send a de­terrent mes­sage to Rus­sia.

A bill in­tro­duced last week by Sen­at­or Bob Cork­er (R-Tenn.) and 22 oth­er GOP mem­bers of his cham­ber would re­quire the Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion to provide a plan for how to achieve de­ploy­ment of Phase 3 of the “Phased Ad­apt­ive Ap­proach” for European mis­sile de­fense by the end of 2016.

An­ti­mis­sile as­sets un­der the third phase cur­rently are not planned for field­ing in Po­land un­til late 2018, at the earli­est.

The Rus­si­an Ag­gres­sion Pre­ven­tion Act also gives the U.S. gov­ern­ment the op­tion of de­vel­op­ing a dif­fer­ent plan for provid­ing “al­tern­at­ive [an­ti­mis­sile] cap­ab­il­it­ies to pro­tect NATO al­lies in Europe and Euras­ia.”

Though the Cork­er le­gis­la­tion has con­sid­er­able sup­port from seni­or Sen­ate Re­pub­lic­ans, the lack of a single co-spon­sor across the aisle does not bode well for its chances of pas­sage this year in the Demo­crat-led up­per le­gis­lat­ive cham­ber.

An ad­di­tion­al bill pro­vi­sion that would ban the re­duc­tion of long-range nuc­le­ar-de­liv­ery vehicles un­der the New START ac­cord with Rus­sia also is likely to be un­pal­at­able to the White House.

“The bill is littered with veto bait,” said King­ston Re­if, an ana­lyst with the Cen­ter for Arms Con­trol and Non­pro­lif­er­a­tion.

Mi­chaela Dodge, a stra­tegic de­fense policy ana­lyst at the Her­it­age Found­a­tion, in a phone in­ter­view last week said she be­lieved it made sense to ac­cel­er­ate de­ploy­ment of an­ti­mis­sile sys­tems in Europe.

“I think it’s an im­port­ant step,” she said, not­ing that Rus­sia ap­pears to be in vi­ol­a­tion of the In­ter­me­di­ate-Range Nuc­le­ar Forces Treaty and his­tor­ic­ally has been op­posed to U.S. mis­sile de­fenses in Europe.

Dodge ac­know­ledged, though, that spend­ing more money on such plans might be a dif­fi­cult pro­pos­i­tion, giv­en that oth­er pro­grams also are com­pet­ing for mis­sile de­fense dol­lars.

The Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion has con­sist­ently main­tained that the in­ter­cept­ors it en­vi­sions de­ploy­ing in Europe do not have the tech­nic­al ca­pa­city to threaten Rus­si­an in­ter­con­tin­ent­al bal­list­ic mis­siles. The Krem­lin has re­fused to ac­cept these polit­ic­al as­sur­ances ab­sent a leg­ally bind­ing agree­ment on the us­age of the U.S. an­ti­mis­sile sys­tems.

Re­if ques­tioned the wis­dom of pur­su­ing any ac­tion that would seem to val­id­ate Mo­scow’s long­stand­ing fears about U.S. mis­sile de­fense plans.

“Des­pite the cur­rent ten­sions with Rus­sia, it is not in the U.S. na­tion­al in­terest to feed the Rus­si­an sus­pi­cion that the [European Phased Ad­apt­ive Ap­proach] is dir­ec­ted at them — an im­pres­sion we have spent years try­ing to dis­pel,” he said in an email.

U.S. De­fense Sec­ret­ary Chuck Hagel, dur­ing a Pentagon press con­fer­ence last month with his Pol­ish coun­ter­part, said the United States re­serves the right to “ad­just” its sched­ule for de­ploy­ing mis­sile de­fenses in Europe.

Un­der the cur­rent stated plan for Phase 3, the next-gen­er­a­tion Stand­ard Mis­sile 3 Block 2A in­ter­cept­or is to be fielded at a still-to-be-con­struc­ted site in Redziko­wo, Po­land, in 2018.

However, Pentagon of­fi­cials have quietly ac­know­ledged that “some cap­ab­il­it­ies pre­vi­ously planned for de­liv­ery by 2018 are now ex­pec­ted by 2020 or later,” ac­cord­ing to a March audit by the Gov­ern­ment Ac­count­ab­il­ity Of­fice.

Fur­ther­more, the GAO re­port found that some un­spe­cified Phase 3 sys­tems were still too early in the de­vel­op­ment stage to know wheth­er tech­no­logy or per­form­ance prob­lems were likely to be en­countered. There has yet to be a flight tri­al or in­ter­cept test of the Block 2A in­ter­cept­or.

As the United States is co-de­vel­op­ing the ad­vanced mis­sile in­ter­cept­or with Ja­pan, there is only so much that Con­gress can do to rush its de­vel­op­ment, Re­if as­ser­ted.

Dodge ar­gued, however, that the po­ten­tial for achiev­ing an early im­ple­ment­a­tion of Phase 3 still ex­ists. She noted that the Stand­ard Mis­sile 3 in­ter­cept­or class has had an over­all “really good” test­ing re­cord. She said the Pentagon could at least ad­vance the start date for break­ing ground on the in­ter­cept­or site at Redziko­wo.

Yet, the GAO re­port flagged as po­ten­tially prob­lem­at­ic the cur­rent Pentagon plan of de­vel­op­ing some Phase 3 tech­no­lo­gies, while sim­ul­tan­eously de­ploy­ing and in­teg­rat­ing them with oth­er mis­sile de­fense sys­tems.

Cit­ing the con­gres­sion­al aud­it­ors’ find­ings, Re­if ar­gued that there were too many de­vel­op­ment­al risks to the gov­ern­ment speed­ing up work on the Block 2A in­ter­cept­or.

“Phase 3 has already been delayed un­til 2020,” he said. “At­tempt­ing to ac­cel­er­ate im­ple­ment­a­tion would surely ex­acer­bate their con­cur­rency prob­lems.”

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
16 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
17 hours ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
18 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
21 hours ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×