Shinseki, Hagel Make Quiet Visit to Congress as VA Scandal Intensifies

The trip to the Hill comes as several congressional Republicans call for the Veterans Affairs secretary’s resignation.

National Journal
Sarah Mimms
Add to Briefcase
Sarah Mimms
May 20, 2014, 10:37 a.m.

Vet­er­ans Af­fairs Sec­ret­ary Eric Shin­seki and De­fense Sec­ret­ary Chuck Hagel made a quiet trip to Cap­it­ol Hill on Tues­day af­ter­noon amid the grow­ing scan­dal en­gulf­ing vet­er­ans af­fairs hos­pit­als across the coun­try.

Shin­seki and Hagel were on the Hill for a meet­ing with House Ap­pro­pri­ations Chair­man Hal Ro­gers and Rank­ing Mem­ber Nita Lowey, ac­cord­ing to a com­mit­tee spokes­wo­man, that was sched­uled some time ago and was not re­lated to the VA scan­dal. The meet­ing, she said, was about the vet­er­ans af­fairs and de­fense de­part­ments’ on­go­ing col­lab­or­a­tion in­volving elec­tron­ic med­ic­al re­cords. Both de­part­ments have yet to cre­ate the di­git­al sys­tem pre­scribed by Con­gress in 2008, which con­tin­ues to cre­ate head­aches on the Hill.

Rep­res­ent­at­ives of the House Armed Ser­vices and House Vet­er­ans’ Af­fairs com­mit­tees that they were un­aware of Shin­seki’s vis­it. House Vet­er­ans’ Af­fairs Com­mit­tee Chair­man Jeff Miller, who had said he wanted to look in­to scan­dal but has so far re­frained from call­ing for Shin­seki’s resig­na­tion, said it was the first he had heard of the vet­er­ans af­fairs sec­ret­ary’s trip to the Hill.

The vis­it comes as a hand­ful of con­gres­sion­al Re­pub­lic­ans have called for Shin­seki’s im­me­di­ate resig­na­tion. The ma­jor­ity of mem­bers, in­clud­ing lead­er­ship, however, are with­hold­ing their judg­ment on the sec­ret­ary’s em­ploy­ment un­til more in­form­a­tion arises.

Shin­seki has said he is “mad as hell” about long wait times and secret ap­point­ment lists at vet­er­ans’ hos­pit­als. The Vet­er­ans Af­fairs De­part­ment’s in­spect­or gen­er­al is con­duct­ing an in­vest­ig­a­tion in­to al­leg­a­tions of mis­man­age­ment at hos­pit­als.

CLA­RI­FIC­A­TION: An earli­er ver­sion of this story re­ferred to the sec­ret­ar­ies’ trip to the Hill as a “sur­prise vis­it.” While the vis­it was in fact a sur­prise to mem­bers of the House Armed Ser­vices and House Vet­er­ans’ Af­fairs com­mit­tees, it had been pre­vi­ously planned with lead­ers of the House Ap­pro­pri­ations Com­mit­tee.

What We're Following See More »
POTENTIAL CONTEMPT CHARGE
Nadler: Goodlatte Could Subpoena Rosenstein
3 days ago
THE LATEST

"The top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee says Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., is poised to subpoena the Justice Department for former FBI Director James Comey’s memos, which the agency so far has failed to produce. Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., warned such a move puts Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in jeopardy of being placed in contempt of Congress and the special counsel investigation of being shut down prematurely."

Source:
NO NEW FUNDING INCLUDED
House Ag Committee Passes Farm Bill
3 days ago
THE DETAILS
"On a party-line vote, the House Agriculture Committee approved a five-year farm bill on Wednesday that tweaks the supports now in place—a promise of certainty, leaders said, during a period of low commodity prices and threats of a trade war with agriculture on the front line." The bill includes no new funding over the last farm bill.
Source:
WOULD ASSURE ANYONE PARDONED BY TRUMP CAN BE PROSECUTED BY STATE
Schneiderman Urges NY Lawmakers to Close “Double Jeopardy Loophole”
3 days ago
THE LATEST
INTRO’d LAST NIGHT
Ryan Tamps Down AUMF Talk
4 days ago
THE LATEST

Referring to the AUMF introduced by Sens. Tim Kaine and Bob Corker Monday evening, House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday "he won’t allow any bill to come to the House floor that he thinks would restrict military commanders’ ability to fight." Ryan "defended the legality of U.S. military strikes last week against chemical weapons-related sites in Syria, saying President Trump had the authority to order them under the Constitution’s Article II commander-in-chief powers."

PROSECUTORS WILL GET FIRST LOOK
Judge Denies Requests by Cohen, Trump
5 days ago
THE LATEST

Attorneys for both President Trump and his attorney Michael Cohen lost a court challenge today, as they sought to suppress evidence gathered in a raid of Cohen's office and hotel room. "U.S. District Court Judge Kimba Wood denied the requests and ruled that prosecutors will get first access to the information, followed by Cohen’s defense team ten days later. Wood noted that she has not yet decided whether she will appoint a special master in the case at all."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login