Last Saturday marked two months since 276 girls were abducted from their beds at gunpoint, loaded onto a truck, and taken into the woods by terrorists for daring to go to school. Since then, the terrorist group, Boko Haram, has continued to wreak havoc across northeastern Nigeria, practically unchecked. The girls are still gone.
But you wouldn’t know that from the lull of “hashtag activism” since the story became international news in late April. Scroll through the Twitter mentions of #BringBackOurGirls today, and you won’t see Michelle Obama or Hillary Clinton sending supportive messages. Gone are the viral photos of celebrities like Bradley Cooper, Anne Hathaway, Justin Timberlake, Sean Penn, and the cast of The Expendables 3 holding up #BringBackOurGirls signs on the red carpet. (Sharon Osbourne, however, has not forgotten about them).
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan’s government has been criticized for not having recovered the girls yet. “Pray for Oby Ezekwesili. You have no idea what the Jonathan government is making her go through at the moment. #BringBackOurGirls,” Japheth J. Omojuwa, a prominent Nigerian blogger, tweeted about one of the kidnapped girls on Friday. But even Nigerian activists are growing fatigued from the barrage of bad news. Ten minutes later, Omojuwa tweeted, “I am tired of everything here. I will now focus very much on the World Cup.”
Nigerian military leaders have said they know where Boko Haram is holding the girls captive, but will not attempt a rescue for fear that a use of force would be too risky. “Just leave us alone,” Alex Badeh, chief of Nigeria’s defense staff, told reporters on May 29. “We are working. We will get the girls back.” That was almost four weeks ago.
The Nigerian military has deployed ground troops and surveillance planes. The U.S., China, France, and England have all pledged to help Nigeria locate the girls and bring them back. Meanwhile, members of Boko Haram have killed nearly 500 people — shot, blown up, and hacked to death — since the girls were abducted. President Jonathan has promised to wage a “total war” against Boko Haram, but the terrorist group has gotten more than a head start.
Aside from Boko Haram, world governments seem to be playing a game of terrorist Whac-A-Mole. The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, is trying to take over Baghdad in a bloody attack. And the Obama administration just sent five Taliban members to Qatar in exchange for the last American POW in Afghanistan.
The message that government leaders in Iraq and Nigeria are sending is that they don’t know how to deal with these terrorist groups, and are afraid to try. And it may take more than a few tweets from American celebrities to shame them into action.
What We're Following See More »
Natasha De Alencar, widow of Army Staff Sgt. Mark R. De Alencar, shared a video her daughter took of a phone call she received from President Trump following the death of her husband. "Trump opened by saying how sorry he is about the 'whole situation,' before adding that De Alencar’s husband was 'an unbelievable hero.' ... Later in the call, Trump invited De Alencar to the White House, telling her, 'If you’re around Washington, you come over and see me in the Oval Office.'"
"The new head of the World Health Organization has named Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe a goodwill ambassador for the agency, a move that has startled public health experts...A number of organizations that attended the" Montevideo conference where the appointment was announced "said in a statement after the announcement that they could not recognize Mugabe as a WHO goodwill ambassador."
"The Senate approved the Republican-proposed budget Thursday night, a major step forward for the GOP effort to enact tax cuts. The budget, which now moves to the House, is projected to expand the deficit by $1.5 trillion over 10 years. Its passage will allow the GOP to use a procedural maneuver to pass tax legislation through the Senate with 50 or more votes, removing the need for support from Democratic senators."