Capitol Locked Down After Shooting Incident

Police investigating possible suspicious package, suicide attempt on a day when Capitol Hill was packed with tourists.

National Journal
Sarah Mimms
Add to Briefcase
Sarah Mimms
April 11, 2015, 10:21 a.m.

The west front of the Capitol was locked down and swarming with police Saturday after a man shot himself outside the building.

U.S. Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine told reporters Saturday evening that at 1:05 pm, a suspect had “produced a weapon and engaged in a self-inflicted gunshot wound” in a public area on the west front terrace of the Capitol. Dine would not reveal any details about the man or his name while next of kin were being notified.

Dine said that the man had a backpack in addition to a suitcase and a sign. Dine could not confirm what the sign said, but called it a “social justice” message.

Dine would not discuss the weapon used, but said no others were found. Officers have cleared the area and the Metropolitan Police Department of Washington will continue to investigate the death. Dine said that there did not appear to be any “nexus to terrorism.”

Police initially locked down the Capitol itself as well as the Capitol Visitor Center and surrounding grounds. Just before 4 p.m., the department announced that the Capitol building and East Front had been reopened, but the West Front remained closed.

The incident occurred on a day when the Capitol grounds and the entire National Mall were packed with tourists. Robert Bishop of Annapolis, Maryland, was walking around the west terrace of the Capitol, on his way to meet his daughters for the Cherry Blossom Festival, when he heard a shot. “I thought it was a balloon,” Bishop said.

But he then saw a mother and her daughter throw up their hands and start crying. Another woman facing behind him told him that a man had shot himself, just 10 to 15 feet behind them, Bishop estimates.

“When I turned around he was laying on the ground. I saw him with the gun. … And the suitcase was there,” Bishop said.

Bishop said the man was “an older gentleman,” and “nondescript.” The man had with him a black carry-on suitcase with a handle, which police were investigating as a suspicious package, and a sign that Bishop says said something about “the one percent.”

“He had just raised the sign and then he shot himself,” Bishop said. “I didn’t see him that well.”

Two ambulances were seen leaving the area around 2 p.m. Personnel from the U.S. Capitol Police, the FBI, Metropolitan Police, and Homeland Security Department were on hand. Police dogs were seen sniffing all of the cars on the west side of the Capitol just before 3 p.m.

This article has been updated.

Rachel Roubein contributed to this article.
What We're Following See More »
POTENTIAL CONTEMPT CHARGE
Nadler: Goodlatte Could Subpoena Rosenstein
3 days ago
THE LATEST

"The top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee says Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., is poised to subpoena the Justice Department for former FBI Director James Comey’s memos, which the agency so far has failed to produce. Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., warned such a move puts Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in jeopardy of being placed in contempt of Congress and the special counsel investigation of being shut down prematurely."

Source:
NO NEW FUNDING INCLUDED
House Ag Committee Passes Farm Bill
3 days ago
THE DETAILS
"On a party-line vote, the House Agriculture Committee approved a five-year farm bill on Wednesday that tweaks the supports now in place—a promise of certainty, leaders said, during a period of low commodity prices and threats of a trade war with agriculture on the front line." The bill includes no new funding over the last farm bill.
Source:
WOULD ASSURE ANYONE PARDONED BY TRUMP CAN BE PROSECUTED BY STATE
Schneiderman Urges NY Lawmakers to Close “Double Jeopardy Loophole”
3 days ago
THE LATEST
INTRO’d LAST NIGHT
Ryan Tamps Down AUMF Talk
4 days ago
THE LATEST

Referring to the AUMF introduced by Sens. Tim Kaine and Bob Corker Monday evening, House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday "he won’t allow any bill to come to the House floor that he thinks would restrict military commanders’ ability to fight." Ryan "defended the legality of U.S. military strikes last week against chemical weapons-related sites in Syria, saying President Trump had the authority to order them under the Constitution’s Article II commander-in-chief powers."

PROSECUTORS WILL GET FIRST LOOK
Judge Denies Requests by Cohen, Trump
5 days ago
THE LATEST

Attorneys for both President Trump and his attorney Michael Cohen lost a court challenge today, as they sought to suppress evidence gathered in a raid of Cohen's office and hotel room. "U.S. District Court Judge Kimba Wood denied the requests and ruled that prosecutors will get first access to the information, followed by Cohen’s defense team ten days later. Wood noted that she has not yet decided whether she will appoint a special master in the case at all."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login