Jeb Bush’s Four Different Answers to the Same Iraq Question

The likely presidential candidate now has a clear answer on whether, knowing what he knows now, he would have gone into Iraq in 2003. But it’s been a long four days.

Jeb Bush participates in a discussion with the National Review editor Rich Lowry, during the National Review Institute 2015 Ideas Summit April 30, 2015 in Washington, D.C.
National Journal
May 14, 2015, 11:17 a.m.

It took a little while, but Jeb Bush now has a clear answer to this question: Knowing what we know now, would he have invaded Iraq in 2003?

“Knowing what we now know, I would not have engaged,” the former Florida governor said in Arizona Thursday. “I would not have gone into Iraq.”

Bush had been exceedingly hesitant to answer the question just a few days ago, when it first cropped up in a Fox News interview on Monday night. And it doesn’t seem as if he’s enjoyed repeatedly getting asked about his brother’s decision-making while traveling around the country this week.

Here’s how Bush inched toward a final answer.

Monday

In an interview with Fox News’ Megyn Kelly, Bush was asked:

“On the subject of Iraq—obviously very controversial—knowing what we know now, would you have authorized the invasion?”

He responded:

“I would’ve, and so would’ve Hillary Clinton, just to remind everybody. And so would almost everybody that was confronted with the intelligence they got.”

Tuesday

It took no time for attacks to come after Monday’s comment, from all sides. “You can’t still think going into Iraq now, as a sane human being, was the right thing to do,” conservative radio host Laura Ingraham said Tuesday. “That’s like you have no ability to learn from past mistakes at all.”

In a radio interview later that day with Sean Hannity, Bush got another shot and tried to clarify.

First, Hannity:

“You gave an interview yesterday where the question of Iraq came up, and knowing what you know now, would you go in…. You said ‘yes, and so would Hillary,’ and I took that to mean, based on, you know, if it was the same moment with the same intelligence, would you do it based on that moment. The media seems to be taking it another way, and I want to see if I could clarify that today.”

Bush’s response:

“I interpreted the question wrong, I guess. I was talking about, given what people knew then, would you have done it, rather than knowing what we know now. And knowing what we know now, you know, clearly there were mistakes as it related to faulty intelligence in the lead-up to the war and the lack of focus on security. My brother has admitted this, and we have to learn from that.”

Hannity tried asking Bush again what his decision would’ve been with “20/20 hindsight.” Bush’s response:

“I don’t know what that decision would’ve been. That’s a hypothetical. But the simple fact is, mistakes were made, as they always are in life.”

Wednesday

By this point, Bush began to nail down a response strategy: Blame the question itself.

At a town hall event in Nevada, Bush said, “If we’re going to get into hypotheticals, I think it does a disservice for a lot of people that sacrificed a lot.” He continued, saying, “Going back in time and talking about hypotheticals—what would have happened, what could have happened—I think, does a disservice for them. What we ought to be focusing on is what are the lessons learned.”

Three people at the town hall asked Bush some form of the Iraq question.

Thursday

The definitive answer, given at a Tempe, Arizona, town hall:

“Here’s the deal: If we’re all supposed to answer hypothetical questions—knowing what we know now, what would you have done—I would have not engaged,” Bush said. “I would not have gone into Iraq.”

That answer should bring this round of Iraq questions to an end. But with an official presidential announcement expected soon, more are coming—and they’ll likely get a little more complicated than this hypothetical.

What We're Following See More »
AVOIDS SHUTDOWN WITH A FEW HOURS TO SPARE
Trump Signs Border Deal
1 days ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump signed a sweeping spending bill Friday afternoon, averting another partial government shutdown. The action came after Trump had declared a national emergency in a move designed to circumvent Congress and build additional barriers at the southern border, where he said the United States faces 'an invasion of our country.'"

Source:
REDIRECTS $8 BILLION
Trump Declares National Emergency
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"President Donald Trump on Friday declared a state of emergency on the southern border and immediately direct $8 billion to construct or repair as many as 234 miles of a border barrier. The move — which is sure to invite vigorous legal challenges from activists and government officials — comes after Trump failed to get the $5.7 billion he was seeking from lawmakers. Instead, Trump agreed to sign a deal that included just $1.375 for border security."

Source:
COULD SOW DIVISION AMONG REPUBLICANS
House Will Condemn Emergency Declaration
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"House Democrats are gearing up to pass a joint resolution disapproving of President Trump’s emergency declaration to build his U.S.-Mexico border wall, a move that will force Senate Republicans to vote on a contentious issue that divides their party. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said Thursday evening in an interview with The Washington Post that the House would take up the resolution in the coming days or weeks. The measure is expected to easily clear the Democratic-led House, and because it would be privileged, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) would be forced to put the resolution to a vote that he could lose."

Source:
MILITARY CONSTRUCTION, DRUG FORFEITURE FUND
Where Will the Emergency Money Come From?
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"ABC News has learned the president plans to announce on Friday his intention to spend about $8 billion on the border wall with a mix of spending from Congressional appropriations approved Thursday night, executive action and an emergency declaration. A senior White House official familiar with the plan told ABC News that $1.375 billion would come from the spending bill Congress passed Thursday; $600 million would come from the Treasury Department's drug forfeiture fund; $2.5 billion would come from the Pentagon's drug interdiction program; and through an emergency declaration: $3.5 billion from the Pentagon's military construction budget."

Source:
TRUMP SAYS HE WILL SIGN
House Passes Funding Deal
2 days ago
THE DETAILS

"The House passed a massive border and budget bill that would avert a shutdown and keep the government funded through the end of September. The Senate passed the measure earlier Thursday. The bill provides $1.375 billion for fences, far short of the $5.7 billion President Trump had demanded to fund steel walls. But the president says he will sign the legislation, and instead seek to fund his border wall by declaring a national emergency."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login