Obama Administration Proposes June Release for New Clinton Emails

The proposal to a federal judge would mean a steady stream of closely watched messages during Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

National Journal
Ben Geman
Add to Briefcase
Ben Geman
May 26, 2015, 4:29 p.m.

The State Department on Tuesday proposed to begin periodically releasing Hillary Clinton’s emails on June 30, starting the drip of the 55,000 pages of messages recovered from the Democratic presidential front-runner’s private email server.

In a court filing Tuesday, State proposed to release documents publicly on June 30, and then every 60 days thereafter.

“The Department will strive to produce as many documents as possible on each production date, and will file a status report one week after each production to inform the Court of the number of pages posted,” Department of Justice lawyers representing State said in the proposal Tuesday evening.

The attorneys add: “The Department is keenly aware of the intense public interest in the documents and wants to get releasable materials out as soon as possible. Accordingly, it is committed to reallocating further resources to accommodate the additional effort required by rolling productions so that it can still complete the production on or before the Department’s initial proposed deadline of January 15, 2016.”

The proposal comes after Judge Rudolph Contreras of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia last week rejected the department’s plan to withhold Clinton’s messages until early 2016.

In late 2014, Clinton turned over the messages from the private server she used for State Department business—an atypical arrangement that has drawn criticism from transparency advocates and Republicans.

A subset of roughly 300 messages specifically related to Libya and the fatal 2012 attack on the diplomatic compound in Benghazi were already released last week.

Tuesday’s proposal is part of a public-records lawsuit for the messages filed by Vice News. Attorneys for Vice, however, criticized the plan Tuesday and said they would ask the judge for more frequent disclosures.

“I applaud State’s proposal to begin releasing Clinton’s emails on June 30, 2015, but I do not believe that additional rolling productions every 60 days is sufficiently frequent to enable the public to engage in fully informed discussion about Secretary Clinton’s leadership style and decisions while at the helm of the State Department,” said Ryan James, who is representing Vice journalist Jason Leopold in the case.

James said he would ask the court to ensure rolling releases “every 2 weeks beginning June 30, 2015 and ending no later than January 31, 2016 to ensure as much information as possible is accessible to the public as quickly as possible, and before caucusing begins February 1, 2016.”

Tuesday’s proposal from the Obama administration lawyers also says the State Department will “continue to explore ways to devote more resources to this effort, consistent with its other obligations, to complete the review even earlier” than their proposed date of January 16.

What We're Following See More »
FIRST CHARGE FOR MIDTERMS
DOJ Charges Russian For Meddling In 2018 Midterms
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"The Justice Department on Friday charged a Russian woman for her alleged role in a conspiracy to interfere with the 2018 U.S. election, marking the first criminal case prosecutors have brought against a foreign national for interfering in the upcoming midterms. Elena Khusyaynova, 44, was charged with conspiracy to defraud the United States. Prosecutors said she managed the finances of 'Project Lakhta,' a foreign influence operation they said was designed 'to sow discord in the U.S. political system' by pushing arguments and misinformation online about a host of divisive political issues, including immigration, the Confederate flag, gun control and the National Football League national-anthem protests."

Source:
TO IMPROVE RELATIONS WITH NORTH KOREA
U.S. Cancels Military Exercise With South Korea
4 hours ago
THE LATEST

The United States and South Korea have suspended "another major joint military exercise to give the diplomatic process with North Korea 'every opportunity to continue.'" Exercise Vigilant Ace, which last year "involved 12,000 US troops and some 230 military aircraft from the US and South Korea," was due to take place in December. Trump has canceled other operations in the past, which Gen. Robert Abrams said "had resulted in a 'slight degradation' to the readiness of US and Korean troops," but were a "prudent risk" to improve improve relations with Pyongyang.

Source:
STILL SKIPPING "DAVOS IN THE DESERT"
Mnuchin to Attend Saudi Terror Financing Meeting
6 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has decided to take part in an anti-terror finance meeting with Saudi security officials and their Middle Eastern counterparts in Riyadh later this month, opting to attend despite growing global outrage over the suspected murder of a U.S.-based journalist at the hands of Saudi operatives, according to three people familiar with his travel plans. The security gathering next week is separate from a Riyadh financial summit that Mnuchin announced on Thursday he would not attend."

ACCUSED OF HIDING DOCUMENTS ABOUT NASSAR'S ABUSE
Ex-USA Gymnastics CEO Indicted For Tampering With Sexual Assault Evidence
6 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"Steve Penny, the former president and CEO of USA Gymnastics, has been indicted on a felony count of tampering with evidence" in the sexual assault case against disgraced USA gymnastics physician Larry Nassar. Nassar was found guilty in January of sexually abusing dozens of young gymnasts, and was sentenced to 40 to 175 years in prison. Penny, who was arrested on Wednesday in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, "is accused of ordering the removal of documents from the Karolyi Ranch in Texas," where much of Nassar's abuse occurred.

Source:
HE MAY NOT AUTHOR A LARGE, SWEEPING NARRATIVE
Public May Not See Mueller Report
7 hours ago
THE LATEST

Defense attorneys involved in the Mueller probe say the public "shouldn’t expect a comprehensive and presidency-wrecking account of Kremlin meddling and alleged obstruction of justice by Trump — not to mention an explanation of the myriad subplots that have bedeviled lawmakers, journalists and amateur Mueller sleuths. ... Perhaps most unsatisfying: Mueller’s findings may never even see the light of day."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login