Why We Need Maya Angelou More Than Ever

While Angelou was praised, today’s poets are mocked.

Lucia Graves
May 28, 2014, 1:13 p.m.

By now you prob­ably know that Maya An­gelou, one of Amer­ica’s most be­loved po­ets, died Wed­nes­day.

The New York Times has chron­icled her life as the “lyr­ic­al wit­ness” to the Jim Crow South. Moth­er Jones has dis­tilled some of her “time­less wis­dom.” And her read­ing at Bill Clin­ton’s 1993 in­aug­ur­a­tion has been parsed for per­son­al mean­ing.

The irony is that if she’d giv­en that in­aug­ur­al read­ing today, she likely would have been snarked at and dis­missed by the dom­in­ant voices in me­dia, as Richard Blanco was after Obama’s second in­aug­ur­a­tion last year when the poet be­came the first Latino and the first openly gay in­aug­ur­al poet to read in our na­tion’s his­tory.

“Po­etry: I don’t get it. Nev­er have,” tweeted one prom­in­ent Wash­ing­ton Post writer dur­ing the speech. “What’s this dude talk­ing about?” snarked an­oth­er at Politico. Cord Jef­fer­son, writ­ing for Gawker at the time, cap­tured the pre­vail­ing sen­ti­ment. It roughly trans­lated to: Get this poet guy away from the mi­cro­phone.

Even (or maybe es­pe­cially) Steph­en Col­bert took a shot at Blanco. “Of course, folks, be­ing Demo­crats, there leg­ally had to be a lib­er­al, gay Latino poet from Maine,” he quipped at the time. Then, after show­ing foot­age of Blanco’s per­form­ance, he ad­ded: “Would it kill you to throw a rhyme in there? It’s a poem. It’s not that hard.”

The lar­ger theme is the dis­place­ment of earn­est­ness by irony in Amer­ic­an me­dia — es­pe­cially on the In­ter­net. It’s a sen­ti­ment that pred­ates 21st cen­tury Amer­ica, and one An­gelou struggled with even when she gave her speech at Clin­ton’s in­aug­ur­a­tion back in the 1990s. “Po­etry is the strongest lan­guage we have,” she told the Los Angeles Times of her in­aug­ur­al speech at the time. “Un­for­tu­nately, it has fallen on dis­fa­vor, and so a num­ber of people got the er­ro­neous idea that po­etry was nerd talk — that it was evid­ence of weak­ness. The truth is po­etry shows the hu­man be­ing at her/his strongest; at her/his best.”

If you needed any evid­ence, the out­cry over her death un­der­scores this point: The joke’s on the people who can’t ap­pre­ci­ate a poem. What fol­lows are ex­cerpts from some of her finest.

From her Clin­ton in­aug­ur­al speech:

Here on the pulse of this new day

You may have the grace to look up and out

And in­to your sis­ter’s eyes,

In­to your broth­er’s face, your coun­try

And say simply

Very simply

With hope

Good morn­ing.

From And Still I Rise:

You may write me down in his­tory

With your bit­ter, twis­ted lies,

You may trod me in the very dirt

But still, like dust, I’ll rise.

Does my sassi­ness up­set you?

Why are you be­set with gloom?

‘Cause I walk like I’ve got oil wells

Pump­ing in my liv­ing room.

Just like moons and like suns,

With the cer­tainty of tides,

Just like hopes spring­ing high,

Still I’ll rise.

From When Great Trees Fall:

When great trees fall,

rocks on dis­tant hills shud­der,

lions hunker down in tall grasses,

and even ele­phants

lum­ber after safety.

When great trees fall in forests,

small things re­coil in­to si­lence,

their senses

eroded bey­ond fear.

When great souls die,

the air around us be­comes

light, rare, sterile.

We breathe, briefly.

Our eyes, briefly,

see with a hurt­ful clar­ity.

Our memory, sud­denly sharpened,

ex­am­ines,

gnaws on kind words

un­said,

prom­ised walks

nev­er taken.

From Phe­nom­en­al Wo­man:

Pretty wo­men won­der where my secret lies.

I’m not cute or built to suit a fash­ion mod­el’s size

But when I start to tell them,

They think I’m telling lies.

I say,

It’s in the reach of my arms

The span of my hips,

The stride of my step,

The curl of my lips.

I’m a wo­man

Phe­nom­en­ally.

Phe­nom­en­al wo­man,

That’s me.

STAFF PICKS
When It Comes to Mining Asteroids, Technology Is Only the First Problem
1 days ago
WHY WE CARE

Foreign Policy takes a look at the future of mining the estimated "100,000 near-Earth objects—including asteroids and comets—in the neighborhood of our planet. Some of these NEOs, as they’re called, are small. Others are substantial and potentially packed full of water and various important minerals, such as nickel, cobalt, and iron. One day, advocates believe, those objects will be tapped by variations on the equipment used in the coal mines of Kentucky or in the diamond mines of Africa. And for immense gain: According to industry experts, the contents of a single asteroid could be worth trillions of dollars." But the technology to get us there is only the first step. Experts say "a multinational body might emerge" to manage rights to NEOs, as well as a body of law, including an international court.

STAFF PICKS
Obama Reflects on His Economic Record
1 days ago
WHY WE CARE

Not to be outdone by Jeffrey Goldberg's recent piece in The Atlantic about President Obama's foreign policy, the New York Times Magazine checks in with a longread on the president's economic legacy. In it, Obama is cognizant that the economic reality--73 straight months of growth--isn't matched by public perceptions. Some of that, he says, is due to a constant drumbeat from the right that "that denies any progress." But he also accepts some blame himself. “I mean, the truth of the matter is that if we had been able to more effectively communicate all the steps we had taken to the swing voter,” he said, “then we might have maintained a majority in the House or the Senate.”

STAFF PICKS
Reagan Families, Allies Lash Out at Will Ferrell
1 days ago
WHY WE CARE

Ronald Reagan's children and political allies took to the media and Twitter this week to chide funnyman Will Ferrell for his plans to play a dementia-addled Reagan in his second term in a new comedy entitled Reagan. In an open letter, Reagan's daughter Patti Davis tells Ferrell, who's also a producer on the movie, “Perhaps for your comedy you would like to visit some dementia facilities. I have—I didn’t find anything comedic there, and my hope would be that if you’re a decent human being, you wouldn’t either.” Michael Reagan, the president's son, tweeted, "What an Outrag....Alzheimers is not joke...It kills..You should be ashamed all of you." And former Rep. Joe Walsh called it an example of "Hollywood taking a shot at conservatives again."

PEAK CONFIDENCE
Clinton No Longer Running Primary Ads
1 days ago
WHY WE CARE

In a sign that she’s ready to put a longer-than-ex­pec­ted primary battle be­hind her, former Sec­ret­ary of State Hil­lary Clin­ton (D) is no longer go­ing on the air in up­com­ing primary states. “Team Clin­ton hasn’t spent a single cent in … Cali­for­nia, In­di­ana, Ken­tucky, Ore­gon and West Vir­gin­ia, while” Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-VT) “cam­paign has spent a little more than $1 mil­lion in those same states.” Meanwhile, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Sanders’ "lone back­er in the Sen­ate, said the can­did­ate should end his pres­id­en­tial cam­paign if he’s los­ing to Hil­lary Clin­ton after the primary sea­son con­cludes in June, break­ing sharply with the can­did­ate who is vow­ing to take his in­sur­gent bid to the party con­ven­tion in Phil­adelphia.”

CITIZENS UNITED PT. 2?
Movie Based on ‘Clinton Cash’ to Debut at Cannes
1 days ago
WHY WE CARE

The team behind the bestselling "Clinton Cash"—author Peter Schweizer and Breitbart's Stephen Bannon—is turning the book into a movie that will have its U.S. premiere just before the Democratic National Convention this summer. The film will get its global debut "next month in Cannes, France, during the Cannes Film Festival. (The movie is not a part of the festival, but will be shown at a screening arranged for distributors)." Bloomberg has a trailer up, pointing out that it's "less Ken Burns than Jerry Bruckheimer, featuring blood-drenched money, radical madrassas, and ominous footage of the Clintons."