A senior Defense Department official on Monday said the U.S. approach to the conflict in Syria has been “consistent” with a just-updated Pentagon strategy for countering weapons of mass destruction.
At a Pentagon press conference, the senior official — speaking on condition of not being named — was asked whether the juxtaposition in the Syria case might someday make other rogue leaders think twice about giving up their nuclear, chemical or biological arms.
“I feel that our effort — and the entire effort — to eliminate Syria’s declared chemical weapons stockpile is consistent from this [strategy],” the official said. “We’ve taken the ideas as we’ve been developing the strategy, and we’ve been applying it to the Syria problem. So it’s actually been an iterative experience.”
The figure did not elaborate specifically on any ramifications of the timing of bolstered aid to rebels, but alluded broadly to some of the complexities involved.
“This is a countering-WMD strategy,” the official said. “It’s not a regional strategy. It won’t solve problems outside of the WMD lane.
“Our goal there is to try to take the WMD problems, reduce them, eliminate them where we can, take them off the table wherever possible, so that we can get about the business of solving other problems,” the senior official added.
Last Monday, an international coalition announced it had completed the removal of approximately 1,300 metric tons of chemical-warfare materials from the Mideast country. President Bashar Assad’s regime agreed last year to hand over the stockpile, following a nerve-gas attack near Damascus that killed hundreds and spurred talk of Washington’s direct intervention in the Syrian civil war.
The new Defense Department “Strategy for Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction,” released Monday afternoon, replaces 2006 Pentagon guidance for combating these most sensitive arms around the globe.
It emphasizes taking a wider range of preventive actions aimed at reducing and mitigating WMD threats earlier, rather than grappling militarily with crises after they occur. The senior official said the approach is already being implemented, but the document should help to guide planning and investments going forward.
“What steps can we take earlier, as we often say, ‘left of the problem, left of crisis, left of boom, left even of acquisition, left of a country actually acquiring a capability’?” the official said in describing the planning approach that the new strategy seeks to inspire. “What can we bring to bear to shape that environment?”
In the event that non-state actors seize control over weapons of mass destruction somewhere around the globe — as some fear could occur someday in Pakistan, North Korea or elsewhere — the Pentagon would pursue “rapid and decisive action,” according to the new strategy.
Under such a scenario, the Defense Department “will act in coordination with partners whenever possible, but will act unilaterally if necessary,” the document states.
The senior Defense official on Monday rejected the idea that the strategy lays the groundwork for “pre-emptive” action to counter weapons of mass destruction, while noting that the U.S. president always retains such options.
The updated strategy puts “a focus on prevention and a focus on taking steps to make sure that risks don’t fully emerge,” the official said. “I would not in any way correlate that to any presumption on use of force.”
What We're Following See More »
"Nearly half of American voters who support either Democrat Hillary Clinton or Republican Donald Trump for the White House said they will mainly be trying to block the other side from winning, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released Thursday." When Trump supporters were asked to give their primary reason for supporting him, 47% said to block Clinton from winning. In almost a mirror image, 46% of Clinton supporters said they were primarily out to thwart Trump.
"Like Donald Trump himself, the Trump campaign’s new national finance chairman has a long history of contributing to Democrats—including Hillary Clinton. Private investor Steven Mnuchin, Trump’s new campaign fundraising guru, has contributed more than $120,000" to candidates since 1995, about half of which has gone to Democrats.
Paul Ryan told CNN today he's "not ready" to back Donald Trump at this time. "I'm not there right now," he said. Ryan said Trump needs to unify "all wings of the Republican Party and the conservative movement" and then run a campaign that will allow Americans to "have something that they're proud to support and proud to be a part of. And we've got a ways to go from here to there."
The Daily Beast has unearthed a piece that Donald Trump wrote for Gear magazine in 2000, which anticipates his 2016 sales pitch quite well. "Perhaps it's time for a dealmaker who can get the leaders of Congress to the table, forge consensus, and strike compromise," he writes. Oddly, he opens by defending his reputation as a womanizer: "The hypocrites argue that a man who loves and appreciates beautiful women (and does so legally and openly) shouldn't become a national leader? Is there something wrong with appreciating beautiful women? Don't we want people in public office who show signs of life?"