The U.S. defense chief on Wednesday used a trip to the Persian Gulf to prod the region’s countries to develop an integrated antimissile plan.
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel was in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, to attend a ministerial of the U.S.-Gulf Cooperation Council Defense Dialogue. He encouraged the council to designate a quarterly meeting hosted by the Air Force component of U.S. Central Command — the Air and Air Defense Chiefs Conference — as “the GCC’s primary military forum for regional air and missile defense policy,” according to a transcript of his introductory remarks.
In subsequent comments to the press, Hagel said an agreement was reached between senior Pentagon officials and the six Arab GCC countries “to develop the specific proposals I outlined today,” including the one on furthering missile defense discussions.
The Air and Air Defense Chiefs Conference meets several times a year and offers a forum for discussing antimissile matters at the operational level, according to a U.S. defense official who did not have authorization to be identified.
The official said the main accomplishment from the Jeddah meeting was that the conference would be reinvigorated after not having been convened for some time. “We did get agreement to get the [GCC countries’ deputy ministers] to meet within the next six months [in Washington] and then restart the GCC ministerial as a regular forum for discussing these issues and moving forward on them.”
The United States is encouraging the six Council nations — Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates — to agree to connect their individual missile defense assets in order to build a regional ballistic missile shield as a means of deterring attacks from Iran. Progress on this front has been slow, however, as the Arab Gulf countries are traditionally protective of their right to make independent defense decisions, choosing instead to rely on bilateral antimissile agreements struck with the United States.
Late last year, the Obama administration proposed developing a mechanism that would allow Washington to export defense systems to the Gulf Cooperation Council as a block. Thus far, the United States has sold weapons to Gulf countries on an individual basis.
Hagel touched on that idea again at Jeddah: “I am also suggesting that the GCC develop a Foreign Military Sales case to consult with U.S. trainers and technical experts. These experts could help advance regional missile defense priorities by accelerating the GCC’s progress toward greater interoperability and more sophisticated multinational force development.”
The secretary said it would be left up to members countries to “assemble this case and determine the appropriate member contributions.”
Speaking in Washington on Wednesday, Frank Rose, deputy assistant secretary of State for space and defense policy, said that the U.S. willingness to designate the Gulf Cooperation Council as eligible for foreign military sales demonstrated “our ultimate commitment to see the Gulf become a stronger, more capable partner.”
In a speech at the Capitol Hill Club, Rose noted that individual Gulf states have already shown their willingness to acquire U.S. antimissile systems. “These procurements demonstrate our GCC partners’ determination to provide for their own defense, and when combined with our regional [ballistic missile defense] capabilities, represent a significant contribution to regional stability at a time when our own defense spending is under fiscal pressure.”
The United Arab Emirates has signed a contract to purchase two U.S-manufactured Terminal High Altitude Area Defense systems, while both Saudi Arabia and Kuwait have inked deals to enhance their existing Patriot batteries to handle the more-capable PAC-3 missile interceptor.
What We're Following See More »
Despite trailing Hillary Clinton by a significant margin, Bernie Sanders wasn't going the way of Ted Cruz tonight. The Vermont senator upset Clinton in Indiana, with MSNBC calling the race at 9pm. Sanders appears poised to win by a five- or six-point spread.
And just like that, it's over. Ted Cruz will suspend his presidential campaign after losing badly to Donald Trump in Indiana tonight. "While Cruz had always hedged when asked whether he would quit if he lost Indiana; his campaign had laid a huge bet on the state." John Kasich's campaign has pledged to carry on. “From the beginning, I’ve said that I would continue on as long as there was a viable path to victory,” said Cruz. “Tonight, I’m sorry to say it appears that path has been foreclosed."
The Republican establishment's last remaining hope—a contested convention this summer—may have just ended in Indiana, as Donald Trump won a decisive victory over Ted Cruz. Nothing Cruz seemed to have in his corner seemed to help—not a presumptive VP pick in Carly Fiorina, not a midwestern state where he's done well in the past, and not the state's legions of conservatives. Though Trump "won't secure the 1,237 delegates he needs to formally claim the nomination until June, his Indiana triumph makes it almost impossible to stop him. Following his decisive wins in New York and other East Coast states, the Indiana victory could put Trump within 200 delegates of the magic number he needs to clinch the nomination." Cruz, meanwhile, "now faces the agonizing choice of whether to remain in the race, with his attempt to force the party into a contested convention in tatters, or to bow out and cede the party nomination to his political nemesis." The Associated Press, which called the race at 7pm, predicts Trump will win at least 45 delegates.