A senior U.S. senator on Wednesday criticized the Obama administration for extending the milestone schedule on a number of nuclear-security projects.
Speaking at a Senate Appropriations Energy and Water Development Subcommittee hearing, Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) singled out Energy Department plans for removing weapons-usable uranium from roughly 200 global nuclear reactors and for securing sensitive radiological materials held at civilian U.S. facilities.
“This simply is unacceptable at the same time we’re pouring money into the modernization of certain warheads. It’s just unacceptable,” Feinstein said.
As part of the Global Threat Reduction Initiative, the project aims to convert reactors and isotope-production facilities that use highly enriched uranium to run instead on low-enriched material, or shut them down altogether. Once the reactors no longer have use for the HEU material, it can be removed and permanently disposed of under a separate GTRI program.
The Energy Department has taken some criticism from anti-nuclear advocates for its budget proposal, which would reduce by almost 18 percent spending on nonproliferation activities while simultaneously increasing funding for nuclear arms by close to 7 percent.
In an exchange with Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz, who was testifying before the appropriations subcommittee, Feinstein noted that his department also was delaying the completion of a GTRI project to install security upgrades at U.S. nonmilitary sites housing selected radiological and nuclear materials.
The project funds security upgrades for civilian sites that contain these sensitive radiological sources used for research, medical and commercial purposes. As of the end of fiscal 2013, the initiative had installed security enhancements at 1,674 sites, according to the Energy Department’s budget proposal.
The nuclear-security effort was established to address concerns that civilian sites could be vulnerable to the theft of weapons-usable radiological sources, which could later be used to build a so-called “dirty bomb.” Such an improvised device might use conventional explosives to disperse radioactive contaminants across a wide area.
The department’s budget request said that “the previous [project] end date of 2044 is now TBD pending a review” of the scope and financial requirements.
“Has there been a change in threat assessment that I’m not aware of?” Feinstein asked. “Are terrorists no longer interested in acquiring nuclear or radiological bombs for improvised nuclear devices and dirty bombs? I don’t understand how you can defend this budget on nonproliferation cuts.”
Moniz acknowledged that “things like the GTRI program … they do have reductions.” But he added that a “very constrained” budget environment necessitated “some tough choices.”
The Energy secretary defended the Obama administration’s overall progress in efforts to secure nuclear materials worldwide.
“There’s been a surge, really, over the last four years with 12 countries, all HEU [highly enriched uranium] removed from them, including I think three in the last year, year-and-a-half,” Moniz said.
- 1 The Rising Stars to Watch at the Democratic National Convention
- 2 The Incredibly Dumb Way the Government Is Guarding Top-Secret Data
- 3 On Convention’s First Night, Bernie Sanders and His Supporters Upstage Clinton
- 4 Can Hillary Clinton Succeed on the Hill Where Obama Didn’t?
- 5 The House Race in the Convention’s Backyard
What We're Following See More »
Instead of his usual stump speech, Bernie Sanders tonight threw his support behind Hillary Clinton, providing a clear contrast between Clinton and GOP nominee Donald Trump on the many issues he used to discuss in his campaign stump speeches. Sanders spoke glowingly about the presumptive Democratic nominee, lauding her work as first lady and as a strong advocate for women and the poor. “We need leadership in this country which will improve the lives of working families, the children, the elderly, the sick and the poor,” he said. “Hillary Clinton will make a great president, and I am proud to stand with her tonight."
In a stark contrast from Michelle Obama's uplifting speech, Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren spoke about the rigged system plaguing Americans before launching into a full-throated rebuke of GOP nominee Donald Trump. Trump is "a man who has never sacrificed anything for anyone," she claimed, before saying he "must never be president of the United States." She called him divisive and selfish, and said the American people won't accept his "hate-filled America." In addition to Trump, Warren went after the Republican Party as a whole. "To Republicans in Congress who said no, this November the American people are coming for you," she said.
"In this election, and every election, it's about who will have the power to shape our children for the next four or eight years of their lives," Michelle Obama said. "There is only one person who I trust with that responsibility … and that is our friend Hillary Clinton." In a personal and emotional speech, Michelle Obama spoke about the effect that angry oppositional rhetoric had on her children and how she chose to raise them. "When they go low, we go high," Obama said she told her children about dealing with bullies. Obama stayed mostly positive, but still offered a firm rebuke of Donald Trump, despite never once uttering his name. "The issues a president faces cannot be boiled down to 140 characters," she said.
Many Bernie Sanders delegates have spent much of the first day of the Democratic National Convention resisting unity, booing at mentions of Hillary Clinton and often chanting "Bernie! Bernie!" Well, one of the most outspoken Bernie Sanders supporters just told them to take a seat. "To the Bernie-or-bust people: You're being ridiculous," said comedian Sarah Silverman in a brief appearance at the Convention, minutes after saying that she would proudly support Hillary Clinton for president.
The Democratic National Committee issued a formal apology to Bernie Sanders today, after leaked emails showed staffers trying to sabotage his presidential bid. "On behalf of everyone at the DNC, we want to offer a deep and sincere apology to Senator Sanders, his supporters, and the entire Democratic Party for the inexcusable remarks made over email," DNC officials said in the statement. "These comments do not reflect the values of the DNC or our steadfast commitment to neutrality during the nominating process. The DNC does not—and will not—tolerate disrespectful language exhibited toward our candidates."