Israeli officials increasingly are hinting that their country could act alone to attack Iran’s atomic sites, the Associated Press reports.
Recent statements by senior Israeli politicians have raised the profile of their nation’s longstanding threat to strike Iranian nuclear installations, and could signal frustration in Israel with a multilateral dialogue on Tehran’s nuclear program, the news agency reported on Friday. Israel, the United States and several European countries suspect that Iran’s atomic activities could be directed toward arms development, a contention Tehran has denied.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered his nation’s armed forces to maintain readiness in 2014 to potentially take action against Iran’s atomic facilities, according to a Thursday news article in Haaretz. The policy reportedly is slated to cost Israel roughly $2.9 billion this year.
Separately, Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon last week suggested that Washington’s pursuit of negotiations may prompt Israel to act unilaterally against Iran.
Also last week, Israeli General Staff head Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz stressed that Iran “is not in an area that is out of the [Israeli] military’s range.”
According to former Israeli National Security Adviser Yaakov Amidror, such statements are not bluffs.
“We aren’t playing a game of neighborhood bully. This is a stated policy of the state of Israel and has been made clear … to anyone who meets Israel’s representatives,” Amidror said.
Internationally, Israel’s threats have largely fallen on deaf ears in the wake of a November nuclear accord between Iran and six world powers, according to AP. Iran accepted certain atomic restrictions in exchange for curbs on economic sanctions under the six-month deal, which was intended to lay the groundwork for a future long-term plan addressing fears about Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.
Any Israeli military strike on Iran would probably scuttle the talks and prompt an armed backlash, but it is unclear how much damage Israel could independently inflict on its regional rival, the news agency said.
What We're Following See More »
President Obama has announced another round of commutations of prison sentences. Most of the 58 individuals named are incarcerated for possessions with intent to distribute controlled substances. The prisoners will be released between later this year and 2018.
The Daily Beast has unearthed a piece that Donald Trump wrote for Gear magazine in 2000, which anticipates his 2016 sales pitch quite well. "Perhaps it's time for a dealmaker who can get the leaders of Congress to the table, forge consensus, and strike compromise," he writes. Oddly, he opens by defending his reputation as a womanizer: "The hypocrites argue that a man who loves and appreciates beautiful women (and does so legally and openly) shouldn't become a national leader? Is there something wrong with appreciating beautiful women? Don't we want people in public office who show signs of life?"
An aide to Mitt Romney confirmed to the Washington Post that the 2102 GOP nominee will not attend the Republican convention this year. He joins the two living Republican presidents, George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush, as well as 2008 nominee John McCain in skipping the event. Even among living Republican nominees, that leaves only Bob Dole who could conceivably show up. Dole did say in January that he'd prefer Trump to Ted Cruz, but his age (92) could keep him from attending.
In a long-awaiting new rule, the Food and Drug Administration will ban sale of all tobacco products—including e-cigarettes—to those under 18. The rule takes effect in 90 days. It's part of a larger package of regulations that "gives FDA authority to regulate—but not to ban—all tobacco products, from e-cigarettes to cigars and hookahs." Meanwhile, California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) signed a bill on Wednesday that would bump the legal age to buy all tobacco products from 18 to 21.