A pattern of recent digging at North Korea’s nuclear-trial grounds could indicate a plan to more aggressively test atomic devices, according to a new analysis.
Commercial satellites in recent months detected signs of excavation happening around the northern side of North Korea’s Punggye-ri test site. Meanwhile, digging work has been halted on the southern side, where two suspected tunnels are thought to have been completed. Initial reports about the activity at the north side included speculation that a new tunnel could be used to house a nuclear test device.
However, Jeffrey Lewis, director of the East Asia Nonproliferation Program at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies, has a different theory.
“What if North Korea’s recent excavations are not for new tunnels that will be used only once, but represent an effort to transform the mountains north and south of the site into complexes that could allow it to conduct multiple tests — two or more — in drifts off a single main tunnel with multiple entrances,” Lewis wrote in a Thursday analysis for the expert website 38 North, which tracks weapons-related developments in North Korea.
An examination of satellite images taken of Punggye-ri’s north side — commonly known as the “West Portal” area — show multiple entrances. These entrances could each open up to their own tunnels that run alongside one another.
“An alternate hypothesis suggested by patterns of U.S., Russian, and Chinese underground nuclear testing is that, rather than parallel tunnels, North Korea may be conducting tests in drifts that branch off a main tunnel.” Lewis said. “This is how those three countries conducted underground nuclear tests.”
North Korea’s previous three atomic trial detonations all occurred as individual events, spaced years apart. Some analysts viewed them less as scientific “tests” than as political “demonstrations” to the world. Regardless of what the North was trying to achieve with its 2006, 2009, and 2013 nuclear explosions, the testing to date has been limited, said Lewis. In part, that is because Pyongyang has lacked enough fissile material to carry out a more robust testing program, he said.
However, the North is bolstering its ability to produce weapon-grade material — both plutonium and highly enriched uranium. The country last year restarted an old graphite reactor. Pyongyang has said it would use the plutonium produced by the reactor — and the highly enriched uranium generated by a separate facility — to support its nuclear-weapons program.
With more fissile material in the works, North Korea could soon have the resources it needs to embark on an effort involving more frequent testing, which the complex pattern of connected chambers could support, Lewis theorized.
Surveillance photographs taken earlier this month of the West Portal area reveal new excavation debris outside the mountain entrance on which North Korea has been working since last summer, according to a separate Thursday image analysis by 38 North, which is a project of the U.S.-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins University.
However, there are no signs of preparations being made for an imminent underground explosion, concluded image experts Nick Hansen and Jack Liu.
Correction: This story has been modified to accurately reflect the facilities believed to support North Korea’s nuclear-weapons program.
What We're Following See More »
Despite trailing Hillary Clinton by a significant margin, Bernie Sanders wasn't going the way of Ted Cruz tonight. The Vermont senator upset Clinton in Indiana, with MSNBC calling the race at 9pm. Sanders appears poised to win by a five- or six-point spread.
And just like that, it's over. Ted Cruz will suspend his presidential campaign after losing badly to Donald Trump in Indiana tonight. "While Cruz had always hedged when asked whether he would quit if he lost Indiana; his campaign had laid a huge bet on the state." John Kasich's campaign has pledged to carry on. “From the beginning, I’ve said that I would continue on as long as there was a viable path to victory,” said Cruz. “Tonight, I’m sorry to say it appears that path has been foreclosed."
The Republican establishment's last remaining hope—a contested convention this summer—may have just ended in Indiana, as Donald Trump won a decisive victory over Ted Cruz. Nothing Cruz seemed to have in his corner seemed to help—not a presumptive VP pick in Carly Fiorina, not a midwestern state where he's done well in the past, and not the state's legions of conservatives. Though Trump "won't secure the 1,237 delegates he needs to formally claim the nomination until June, his Indiana triumph makes it almost impossible to stop him. Following his decisive wins in New York and other East Coast states, the Indiana victory could put Trump within 200 delegates of the magic number he needs to clinch the nomination." Cruz, meanwhile, "now faces the agonizing choice of whether to remain in the race, with his attempt to force the party into a contested convention in tatters, or to bow out and cede the party nomination to his political nemesis." The Associated Press, which called the race at 7pm, predicts Trump will win at least 45 delegates.