Senior Obama administration officials are insisting the government is not retreating from its focus on nuclear security despite proposed funding cuts.
The administration’s fiscal 2015 budget proposal, announced last week, would eliminate in excess of $220 million in funding for nuclear security and nonproliferation efforts, USA Today reported on Saturday.
One of the largest requested cuts in nuclear nonproliferation spending would come from the International Material Protection and Cooperation initiative. The administration is seeking just $305.5 million for the program, compared to the $419.5 million appropriated for the current fiscal cycle. The administration is also requesting $108 million less than current appropriated levels for the Global Threat Reduction Initiative.
Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz said the decline in requested nonproliferation funding is due to an administration determination to mothball a controversial effort to construct a mixed-oxide fuel fabrication facility that would convert excess plutonium into nuclear-reactor fuel.
The decision to shelve the MOX facility in South Carolina explains 54 percent of the reduction in sought-after nonproliferation funds.
Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall, the White House’s point person on weapons of mass destruction, in a recent talk at Harvard University’s Belfer Center, rejected any suggestion that the administration is less focused on global nuclear security.
“I don’t think there is a problem with complacency,” she said. “We are seized with this challenge — with preventing sensitive materials from falling into the hands of terrorists or others who could use it to do us harm.”
Still, some arms control advocates question the Obama administration’s commitment to nuclear security.
“What I take away from this budget is that there was a lack of leadership in trying to maintain the prioritization of the funding of this issue,” said Partnership for Global Security President Kenneth Luongo. “The signal is we are in retreat on this issue, and I think that is a huge mistake.”
- 1 How Ron Wyden Banned Internet Taxes Forever
- 2 Obama’s Second-Term Agenda Hits a Roadblock: the Supreme Court
- 3 John Kasich Dismisses Climate Change As ‘Some Theory That’s Not Proven’
- 4 Obamacare Will Reduce Income Inequality, but Quietly
- 5 I Did Improv With the ‘Jeopardy Villain,’ and He’s Exactly as He Appears on Television
What We're Following See More »
Under pressure from a judge, the State Department will release about 550 of Hillary Clinton’s emails—“roughly 14 percent of the 3,700 remaining Clinton emails—on Saturday, in the middle of the Presidents Day holiday weekend.” All of the emails were supposed to have been released last month. Related: State subpoenaed the Clinton Foundation last year, which brings the total number of current Clinton investigations to four, says the Daily Caller.
UPDATED: Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) will not be playing the role of Ralph Nader in this year’s election. Speaking in Dallas today, Webb said, “We looked at the possibility of an independent candidacy. Theoretically, it could be done, but it is enormously costly and time sensitive, and I don’t see the fundraising trajectory where we could make a realistic run.”
“The leaders of the Republican and Democratic national committees on Wednesday weighed in on the prospect of an independent presidential run by” former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I). “DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz suggested that the former New York City mayor’s priorities are already ‘well cared-for’ in the Democratic platform, while RNC leader Reince Priebus welcomed the idea, saying Bloomberg would siphon off votes from the Democratic candidate.”
Three hundred fifty-two, thanks to superdelegates pledged to Clinton, and the vagaries of the delegate allocation process in early states. Not bad, considering her results have been a virtual tie and a blowout loss.