The Pentagon’s budget sets up an uphill battle with Congress by requesting further domestic base closures and realignment, but the Defense Department’s top official could try to give members the slip.
As part of the department’s 2015 fiscal-year budget request, the Pentagon wants a round of base closures and realignment — known as BRAC — for U.S. bases in 2017.
“We think BRAC is a smart position to have, as you know we have called for it again, we’re going to continue work through all this,” Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said at an Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Wednesday. “I’ve got some options as secretary of Defense in law “¦ through a section of Article 10.”
The secretary didn’t specify what options he could have in regard to reducing overhead, but a House staffer suggested last month that under a provision of federal law dealing with the Defense Department, Hagel could close bases and only have to notify Congress beforehand — rather than ask its permission.
If the secretary wants to close a base with at least 300 civilian employees or cut more than 1,000, or more than 50 percent, of civilian jobs at a base, he must notify the Armed Services committees as part of the department’s annual budget request, according to federal law.
That notification must include an “evaluation of the fiscal, local economic, budgetary, environmental, strategic, and operational consequences of such closure or realignment.”
What Congress could do to stop Hagel is unclear, but Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., has pressed Pentagon officials — including Bob Work, the president’s deputy Defense secretary nominee — to clarify where any legal authority the Pentagon could have comes from.
“I believe that Congress should be in the position to approve BRAC, and there should not be a runaround done,” Ayotte said last week.
As Pentagon officials have acknowledged, members are loath to close bases that could cost jobs back in their home states and would cost money up front before savings kick in. Deputy Defense Secretary Christine Fox said before the budget was released that Defense officials were hearing that their base-closure request would be “dead on arrival.”
Rising costs from a 2005 recommendation for a round of base closure and realignment left some members of Congress hesitant to try again. A commission originally estimated that it would cost the Pentagon $21 billion to follow its recommendations, but, according to a 2012 GAO report, the cost ended up around $35.1 billion.
Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., touched on that during Wednesday’s hearing, adding that she “certainly strongly disagrees with another BRAC round at this time.”
But the Defense Department is planning to follow forthcoming recommendations to close or realign bases across Europe, which aren’t subject to congressional approval. The Pentagon has reduced its infrastructure in Europe by 30 percent since 2000.
But Shaheen suggested that members of Congress do need to know what recommendations are being made about base closures in Europe, and throughout the world, before they can consider requests to close or realign bases in their own backyards.
And Rep. Michael Turner, R-Ohio, suggested during his questioning at a House Armed Services subcommittee hearing Wednesday that the European bases are central to the military’s overall mission.
General David Rodriguez, head of the U.S. Africa Command, agreed, saying the bases are “critical for our mission in Africa.”
What We're Following See More »
Hillary Clinton hopes that television ratings for the candidates' acceptance speeches at their respective conventions aren't foreshadowing of similar results at the polls in November. Preliminary results from the networks and cable channels show that 34.9 million people tuned in for Donald Trump's acceptance speech while 33.3 million watched Clinton accept the Democratic nomination. However, it is still possible that the numbers are closer than these ratings suggest: the numbers don't include ratings from PBS or CSPAN, which tend to attract more Democratic viewers.
The US Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday overturned North Carolina's 2013 voter ID law, saying it was passed with “discriminatory intent." The decision sends the case back to the district judge who initially dismissed challenges to the law. "The ruling prohibits North Carolina from requiring photo identification from voters in future elections, including the November 2016 general election, restores a week of early voting and preregistration for 16- and 17-year-olds, and ensures that same-day registration and out-of-precinct voting will remain in effect."
An oil pipeline almost as long as the much-debated Keystone XL has won final approval to transport crude from North Dakota to Illinois, traveling through South Dakota and Iowa along the way. "The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers gave the final blessing to the Dakota Access pipeline on Tuesday. Developers now have the last set of permits they need to build through the small portion of federal land the line crosses, which includes major waterways like the Mississippi and the Missouri rivers. The so-called Bakken pipeline goes through mostly state and private land."