Thirteen personnel at a New Mexico nuclear-waste site were found to have been exposed to heightened radiation after contaminants escaped into the air.
The signs showed up in biological materials collected from staffers on duty in subterranean portions of the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant on Feb. 14, when an automated sensor detected airborne radioactive particles inside the New Mexico complex, the Associated Press reports. The incident came 10 days after an equipment fire at the site, though a Wednesday New York Times report suggested the events were not related.
No external indications of contaminants were discovered on workers on the day of the alert, AP reported. But biological samples were collected and initially tested to determine if workers had breathed in radioactive materials.
“[Affected] employees, both federal and contractor, will be asked to provide additional samples in order to fully determine the extent of any exposure,” says a Wednesday press release from the U.S. Energy Department and the Nuclear Waste Partnership, the storage facility’s private operator.
A Thursday afternoon press conference is expected at which Energy and contracting officials are to address the matter.
Overseers have said air tests indicate that the airborne contaminants came from a broken waste tank, though an in-person assessment would be necessary to identify the rupture’s source, AP reported. A tank breach could have occurred if any site roofing had fallen in, or if a forklift had mistakenly pierced a container, Nuclear Waste Partnership head Farok Sharif said earlier this week.
Additional weeks may pass before employees re-enter the facility’s below-ground storage area, the wire service quoted site administrators as saying.
The Energy Department previously confirmed that a quantity of radioactive contaminants had also reached the site’s surface. However, Wednesday’s Times report quoted facility staff and independent experts saying those amounts were minimal and ruling out any health impact for nearby residents. The waste facility is located less than 30 miles from the town of Carlsbad, N.M.
What We're Following See More »
Under pressure from a judge, the State Department will release about 550 of Hillary Clinton’s emails—“roughly 14 percent of the 3,700 remaining Clinton emails—on Saturday, in the middle of the Presidents Day holiday weekend.” All of the emails were supposed to have been released last month. Related: State subpoenaed the Clinton Foundation last year, which brings the total number of current Clinton investigations to four, says the Daily Caller.
UPDATED: Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) will not be playing the role of Ralph Nader in this year’s election. Speaking in Dallas today, Webb said, “We looked at the possibility of an independent candidacy. Theoretically, it could be done, but it is enormously costly and time sensitive, and I don’t see the fundraising trajectory where we could make a realistic run.”
“The leaders of the Republican and Democratic national committees on Wednesday weighed in on the prospect of an independent presidential run by” former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I). “DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz suggested that the former New York City mayor’s priorities are already ‘well cared-for’ in the Democratic platform, while RNC leader Reince Priebus welcomed the idea, saying Bloomberg would siphon off votes from the Democratic candidate.”
Three hundred fifty-two, thanks to superdelegates pledged to Clinton, and the vagaries of the delegate allocation process in early states. Not bad, considering her results have been a virtual tie and a blowout loss.