The Pentagon has overstated the effects of the sequester’s spending cuts in previous years, a top Defense official said Tuesday.
“We cried wolf about this a lot in ‘13, as ‘13 was approaching,” said Frank Kendall, the Pentagon’s undersecretary of Defense for acquisition, technology, and logistics, at a defense budget conference discussing the sequester cuts.
“What we did in ‘13 was sort of the death of a 1,000 cuts,” Kendall said, adding that cuts were made across the board, but none were significantly negative.
Service chiefs have said that for the 2013 fiscal year, they largely helped hold off the sequester by doling out previously unused funds. And though the military was far from unscathed, it remained globally superior to other militaries.
The Pentagon is asking Congress for $496 billion for the upcoming fiscal year, $45 billion less than it originally projected and $9 billion above the budget caps under the sequester.
“I think it’s time going forward to have an informed debate about this,” Kendall said. He added: “We’re going to put on the table what it means”¦. If you don’t like all the “¦ things we’re doing “¦ look at all the bad things we’ll be doing if sequestration stays in place.”
And though the department’s fiscal 2015 budget sticks to the spending limits set by last year’s agreement, it includes provisions — including BRAC, changes to the A-10, and compensation issues — that Congress is expected to push back on, if not completely reject.
After the 2015 fiscal year, the five-year budget expected to be released by President Obama on Monday will ask for $115 billion over the sequester-level caps.
But acting Deputy Defense Secretary Christine Fox said Pentagon officials believe the “budget is reasonable and realistic and responsible.”
What We're Following See More »
Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz "will not have a major speaking role or preside over daily convention proceedings this week," and is under increasing pressure to resign. The DNC Rules Committee on Saturday named Ohio Democratic Rep. Marcia Fudge as "permanent chair of the convention." At issue: internal DNC emails leaked by Wikileaks that show how "the DNC favored Clinton during the primary and tried to take down Bernie Sanders by questioning his religion."
- A Rasmussen Reports poll shows Donald Trump ahead of Hillary Clinton, 43%-42%, the fourth week in a row he's led the poll (one of the few poll in which he's led consistently of late).
- A Reuters/Ipsos survey shows Clinton leading 40%-36%. In a four-way race, she maintains her four-point lead, 39%-35%, with Gary Johnson and Jill Stein pulling 7% and 3%, respectively.
- And the LA Times/USC daily tracking poll shows a dead heat, with Trump ahead by about half a percentage point.
In an election between two candidates around 70 years of age, millennials strongly prefer one over the other. Hillary Clinton has a 47%-30% edge among votes 18 to 29. She also leads 46%-36% among voters aged 30 to 44.
According to an online tracking poll released by New Latino Voice, Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump among Latino voters, attracting support from 81 percent of Latino voters, to just 12 percent support for Trump. The results of this poll are consistent with those from a series of other surveys conducted by various organizations. With Pew Research predicting the 2016 electorate will be 12 percent Hispanic, which would be the highest ever, Trump could be in serious trouble if he can't close the gap.