Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is asking for another round of base closures as part of the fiscal 2015 budget request — just don’t expect members of Congress to go along quietly.
The top Pentagon official asked for a new round of base realignment and closure in 2017, but acknowledged that he faces an uphill fight on the Hill. “I am mindful that Congress has not agreed to our BRAC requests in the last two years,” Hagel said.
And it’s a familiar fight for the department, which asked for a round of BRAC when it presented its budget last year, as well as the year before that. But the idea was quickly shot down by members of Congress in both chambers and parties.
“The one thing on the Hill where I always found unanimity is on opposition to BRAC,” Eric Fanning, the undersecretary for the Air Force, said Tuesday morning at a Washington defense conference.
Fanning said Pentagon officials have been on the Hill discussing the trade-offs the department faces with the budget crunch.
Rising costs from a 2005 recommendations for BRAC left some members of Congress hesitant to try again. The BRAC commission originally estimated that it would cost the Pentagon $21 billion to follow its recommendations, but, according to a 2012 GAO report, the cost ended up around $35.1 billion.
But Hagel said that if Congress “continues to block these requests even as they slash the overall budget,” department officials will look for other ways to reduce infrastructure.
And one of those options is closing bases in Europe, which aren’t subject to the BRAC commission’s approval. Hagel said the Pentagon will pursue another round of base closings and realignment based on recommendations from the European Infrastructure Consolidation Review this spring.
And Hagel noted that “in Europe, where BRAC authority is not needed, we have reduced our infrastructure by 30 percent since 2000.”
There could be another — admittedly obscure — work-around.
House Armed Services staffer Vickie Plunkett said at a conference earlier this month that Section 2687 of Title 10, which regulates the Defense Department, would allow the Pentagon to close bases and “only requires notification to Congress” before the closure takes place.
“The authorities only require notification. Take your chances, because it’s going to require us to get our act together to stop it,” she said.
What We're Following See More »
An aide to Mitt Romney confirmed to the Washington Post that the 2102 GOP nominee will not attend the Republican convention this year. He joins the two living Republican presidents, George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush, as well as 2008 nominee John McCain in skipping the event. Even among living Republican nominees, that leaves only Bob Dole who could conceivably show up. Dole did say in January that he'd prefer Trump to Ted Cruz, but his age (92) could keep him from attending.
In a long-awaiting new rule, the Food and Drug Administration will ban sale of all tobacco products—including e-cigarettes—to those under 18. The rule takes effect in 90 days. It's part of a larger package of regulations that "gives FDA authority to regulate—but not to ban—all tobacco products, from e-cigarettes to cigars and hookahs." Meanwhile, California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) signed a bill on Wednesday that would bump the legal age to buy all tobacco products from 18 to 21.
Sen. Ben Sasse, the most prominent elected official to declare that he's #NeverTrump, wrote an open letter on Facebook to the "majority of Americans who wonder why the nation that put a man on the moon can’t find a healthy leader who can take us forward together." Calling to mind recent conversations at a Fremont, Neb., Walmart, the senator pitted the presumptive general election battle between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton as such a "terrible choice" that there would be an appetite for another candidate to emerge. In a parenthetical aside to reporters, Sasse ruled himself out. "Such a leader should be able to campaign 24/7 for the next six months," he wrote. "Therefore he/she likely can’t be an engaged parent with little kids." Meanwhile, his colleague Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) admitted in a private recording obtained by Politico that Trump hurts his reelection chances.
"Judge Emmet G. Sullivan, of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, approved a joint proposal presented by Judicial Watch and the State Department to take the depositions of officials" involved in the setup and use of Hillary Clinton's private email server, "including Cheryl D. Mills, Clinton's former chief of staff, Huma Abedin, a senior adviser to Clinton, and Bryan Pagliano, a State Department employee who serviced and maintained the server." He said Clinton could be deposed later on, though that may not be necessary.