Culture of Perfection Led to Missileer Cheating: Air Force

None

Global Security Newswire Staff
Jan. 31, 2014, 6:04 a.m.

Afraid of neg­at­ive ca­reer re­per­cus­sions if they did not earn per­fect scores, a num­ber of U.S. mis­sileers chose to cheat on tests, the Air Force said on Thursday.

About 50 per­cent of the 183 nuc­le­ar launch of­ficers at the Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana have been de­cer­ti­fied and re­moved from duty  as a res­ult of the Air Force’s on­go­ing probe in­to mis­steps in test­ing, the As­so­ci­ated Press re­por­ted. Of the 92 of­ficers thus far em­broiled in the in­vest­ig­a­tion, 40 mis­sileers played a dir­ect role in the cheat­ing, which in­volved tex­ting ex­am an­swers to oth­er of­ficers, Air Force Glob­al Strike Com­mand head Lt. Gen. Steph­en Wilson said at a press con­fer­ence.

The ap­prox­im­ately 550 Air Force of­ficers with re­spons­ib­il­ity for op­er­at­ing the coun­try’s ar­sen­al of silo-based Minute­man 3 in­ter­con­tin­ent­al bal­list­ic mis­siles are re­quired to routinely sit for cer­ti­fic­a­tion tests that as­sess their know­ledge of such things as launch-con­trol pro­ced­ures. Thus far, it ap­pears that the cheat­ing took place only at  Malmstrom, ac­cord­ing to the Air Force.

“These tests have taken on, in their eyes, such high im­port­ance, that they feel that any­thing less than 100 could well put their en­tire ca­reer in jeop­ardy,” des­pite need­ing just a 90 per­cent score to pass, Air Force Sec­ret­ary De­borah Lee James told journ­al­ists. “They have come to be­lieve that these tests are make-it-or-break-it.”

Largely in re­sponse to the cheat­ing scan­dal and oth­er re­cent lapses in pro­fes­sion­al­ism among the mis­sile-launch of­ficer corps, De­fense Sec­ret­ary Chuck Hagel has ordered a com­pre­hens­ive re­view of mor­ale and per­form­ance is­sues in the mil­it­ary’s nuc­le­ar sec­tor.

With half of the launch of­ficers at Malmstrom now side­lined, each of the re­main­ing mis­sileers and base staff have had to take on two ex­tra 24-hour shifts a month man­ning the un­der­ground mis­sile-fir­ing cen­ters. Ex­tra staff from the 20th Air Force, which over­sees all Minute­man 3 mis­siles, also are be­ing tasked with launch duty.

No com­mand­ers have yet been pun­ished for the un­covered cheat­ing. A num­ber of former launch of­ficers have come for­ward this month — some iden­ti­fied by name — to say that many seni­or-level Air Force of­ficers knew of the cheat­ing and even con­doned it. The ser­vice has moved to freeze seni­or of­ficer pro­mo­tions with­in the 20th Air Force while the in­vest­ig­a­tion con­tin­ues.

“I do be­lieve there are cli­mate is­sues, and part of that will be as­sess­ing com­mand­ers — how did this hap­pen?” James said.

The ser­vice’s top ci­vil­ian lead­er spent last week vis­it­ing mis­sile fa­cil­it­ies in North Dakota, Wyom­ing and Montana, where she spoke with launch of­ficers.

“I heard re­peatedly from team­mates that the need for per­fec­tion has cre­ated a cli­mate of un­due stress and fear,” James was quoted by the New York Times as say­ing. “Fear about the fu­ture. Fear about pro­mo­tions. Fear about what will hap­pen to them in their ca­reers.”

Ser­vice of­fi­cials have ad­mit­ted that there may be too much fo­cus on test achieve­ment at the ex­pense of nuc­le­ar per­son­nel’s over­all mis­sion com­pet­ency.

“We have lost the dis­tinc­tion over time between train­ing and test­ing,” James said.

However, Loren Thompson, an armed ser­vices ana­lyst at the Lex­ing­ton In­sti­tute, said the nature of the nuc­le­ar mis­sion leaves zero room for er­ror.

“The con­sequences of a mis­take in the hand­ling of nuc­le­ar weapons are far great­er than in prob­lems that could hap­pen with any­thing else,” Thompson said. “One hun­dred per­cent is ne­ces­sary on these tests be­cause one mis­take could be very cata­stroph­ic.”

What We're Following See More »
‘PULLING A TRUMP’
GOP Budget Chiefs Won’t Invite Administration to Testify
13 hours ago
THE DETAILS

The administration will release its 2017 budget blueprint tomorrow, but the House and Senate budget committees won’t be inviting anyone from the White House to come talk about it. “The chairmen of the House and Senate Budget committees released a joint statement saying it simply wasn’t worth their time” to hear from OMB Director Shaun Donovan. Accusing the members of pulling a “Donald Trump,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the move “raises some questions about how confident they are about the kinds of arguments that they could make.”

Source:
A DARK CLOUD OVER TRUMP?
Snowstorm Could Impact Primary Turnout
9 hours ago
THE LATEST

A snowstorm is supposed to hit New Hampshire today and “linger into Primary Tuesday.” GOP consultant Ron Kaufman said lower turnout should help candidates who have spent a lot of time in the state tending to retail politicking. Donald Trump “has acknowledged that he needs to step up his ground-game, and a heavy snowfall could depress his figures relative to more organized candidates.”

Source:
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
A Shake-Up in the Offing in the Clinton Camp?
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Anticipating a primary loss in New Hampshire on Tuesday, Hillary and Bill Clinton “are considering staffing and strategy changes” to their campaign. Sources tell Politico that the Clintons are likely to layer over top officials with experienced talent, rather than fire their staff en masse.

Source:
×