Reid: ‘Wait and See’ About Sanctions Legislation

The majority leader’s comments come as support grows for a Senate proposal.

Reid: "˜It's all short-term now.'
Jordain Carney
Jan. 15, 2014, 1:53 a.m.

Sen­ate Ma­jor­ity Lead­er Harry Re­id, D-Nev., sidestepped ques­tions Tues­day about when he will al­low le­gis­la­tion to in­crease sanc­tions against Ir­an to come up for a vote.

A pro­pos­al in­tro­duced by Sen. Robert Men­en­dez, D-N.J., has gained bi­par­tis­an sup­port, with ap­prox­im­ately 58 co­spon­sors. The pro­pos­al would in­crease sanc­tions against Ir­an if it walks away from the in­ter­im agree­ment — or po­ten­tially a long-term deal — on its nuc­le­ar pro­gram.

“While this pro­cess is play­ing out, that is the ne­go­ti­ations go­ing on in Switzer­land”¦.While they’re go­ing on, and while the le­gis­la­tion is work­ing for­ward here, I’m go­ing to sit and be as fair an um­pire as I can be,” Re­id said told re­port­ers.

Re­id has walked a fine line on the Ir­an sanc­tions, stuck between mem­bers of his party who sup­port the pro­pos­al and the Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion, which has led an in­tense lob­by­ing ef­fort to keep sen­at­ors from mov­ing for­ward. He sug­ges­ted in Novem­ber that the Sen­ate could move for­ward on le­gis­la­tion, but has since hedged on those com­ments.

Of­fi­cials, in­clud­ing Pres­id­ent Obama and Sec­ret­ary of State John Kerry, have warned that new sanc­tions would jeop­ard­ize any pro­gress made — a claim backed by Ir­a­ni­an of­fi­cials.

“I think at this stage I think we’re where we should be. There’s 10 sen­at­ors, who are chair­men of com­mit­tees here, who’ve said they don’t want any­thing done. We have now, I don’t know how many sen­at­ors, but more than 55 are co­spon­sor­ing this,” the Nevada Demo­crat said, re­fer­ring to Men­en­dez’s le­gis­la­tion. “So this — we’re go­ing to wait and see how this plays out.”

Mean­while, Sen. Tammy Bald­win, D-Wis., told BuzzFeed that she didn’t fore­see a vote hap­pen­ing in the near fu­ture.

Im­ple­ment­a­tion of an in­ter­im agree­ment on Ir­an’s nuc­le­ar pro­gram kicks off on Monday, with form­al talks on a long-term deal ex­pec­ted to start next month.

CALIFORNIA VOTES IN A WEEK
Jerry Brown Backs Clinton
31 minutes ago
THE LATEST

California Gov. Jerry Brown endorsed Hillary Clinton today, calling her "the only path forward to win the presidency and stop the dangerous candidacy of Donald Trump." While praising Sen. Bernie Sanders' campaign, Brown said "Clinton’s lead is insurmountable and Democrats have shown – by millions of votes – that they want her as their nominee. ... This is no time for Democrats to keep fighting each other. The general election has already begun."

GLASS CEILING STILL HARD TO CRACK
Clinton Says Voters Still Hung Up on Gender
3 hours ago
THE LATEST

In a New York Magazine profile, Hillary Clinton said she still encounters misogyny at her own events: “‘I really admire you, I really like you, I just don’t know if I can vote for a woman to be president.’ I mean, they come to my events and then they say that to me.”

CHANGE WE CAN’T BELIEVE IN
Trump Vows Not to Change
4 hours ago
THE LATEST
FILING DEADLINE IS JUNE 24
McConnell Urging Rubio to Run for Reelection
6 hours ago
THE LATEST

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell: "One of the things that I’m hoping, I and my colleagues have been trying to convince Senator Marco Rubio to run again in Florida. He had indicated he was not going to, but we’re all hoping that he’ll reconsider, because poll data indicates that he is the one who can win for us. He would not only save a terrific senator for the Senate, but help save the majority. ... Well, I hope so. We’re all lobbying hard for him to run again."

LEAKER SHOULD STILL STAND TRIAL
Holder: Snowden Performed a Public Service
9 hours ago
THE LATEST

Former Attorney General Eric Holder said that NSA leaker Edward Snowden "actually performed a public service by raising the debate that we engaged in and by the changes that we made" by releasing information about government surveillance. Holder, a guest on David Axelrod's "Axe Files" podcast, also said Snowden endangered American interests and should face consequences for his actions.