No preparations for another underground nuclear explosion are apparent at North Korea’s testing grounds, according to a new image analysis by 38 North.
“Recent commercial satellite imagery indicates that Pyongyang has no plans to conduct a nuclear test over the next few months,” writes Jack Liu, an analyst with the website that specializes in North Korean military affairs.
Comparatively, when Pyongyang conducted its third underground atomic detonation in February, dedicated provisions for the event had been under way since early December 2012.
Some in South Korea have speculated that the Kim Jong Un regime might decide to carry out a fourth nuclear explosion as a way to distract domestic audiences from the recent purges and executions that have shaken the foundations of the North Korean ruling elite.
The latest analysis by 38 North concluded that while digging work on a likely new test tunnel at Punggye-ri has restarted, “completion of that tunnel may take some time.”
However, North Korea already has two finished tunnels that could be used to house nuclear tests when a political decision is made to do so, according to the report.
Meanwhile, it appears that the recent execution of Jang Song Thaek — Kim Jong Un’s onetime mentor and uncle — stemmed from his attempt to assume control over the nation’s mining industry, Agence France-Presse reported on Monday.
“Jang intervened too much in lucrative state businesses …. related to coal, which drew mounting complaints from other [related] state bodies,” said South Korean lawmaker Jung Chung-rae, who is a member of parliament’s intelligence committee. Jung was relating remarks given by National Intelligence Service chief Nam Jae-joon at a private briefing.
This article was published in Global Security Newswire, which is produced independently by National Journal Group under contract with the Nuclear Threat Initiative. NTI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan group working to reduce global threats from nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons.
What We're Following See More »
President Obama became a surprise topic of contention toward the end of the Democratic debate, as Hillary Clinton reminded viewers that Sanders had challenged the progressive bona fides of President Obama in 2011 and suggested that someone might challenge him from the left. “The kind of criticism that we’ve heard from Senator Sanders about our president I expect from Republicans, I do not expect from someone running for the Democratic nomination to succeed President Obama,” she said. “Madame Secretary, that is a low blow,” replied Sanders, before getting in another dig during his closing statement: “One of us ran against Barack Obama. I was not that candidate.”
It’s all about the 1% and Wall Street versus everyone else for Bernie Sanders—even when he’s talking about race relations. Like Hillary Clinton, he needs to appeal to African-American and Hispanic voters in coming states, but he insists on doing so through his lens of class warfare. When he got a question from the moderators about the plight of black America, he noted that during the great recession, African Americans “lost half their wealth,” and “instead of tax breaks for billionaires,” a Sanders presidency would deliver jobs for kids. On the very next question, he downplayed the role of race in inequality, saying, “It’s a racial issue, but it’s also a general economic issue.”
It’s been said in just about every news story since New Hampshire: the primaries are headed to states where Hillary Clinton will do well among minority voters. Leaving nothing to chance, she underscored that point in her opening statement in the Milwaukee debate tonight, saying more needs to be done to help “African Americans who face discrimination in the job market” and immigrant families. She also made an explicit reference to “equal pay for women’s work.” Those boxes she’s checking are no coincidence: if she wins women, blacks and Hispanics, she wins the nomination.
Under pressure from a judge, the State Department will release about 550 of Hillary Clinton’s emails—“roughly 14 percent of the 3,700 remaining Clinton emails—on Saturday, in the middle of the Presidents Day holiday weekend.” All of the emails were supposed to have been released last month. Related: State subpoenaed the Clinton Foundation last year, which brings the total number of current Clinton investigations to four, says the Daily Caller.