Iran stopped construction at a military base that some experts allege once hosted nuclear weapon-related experiments, a Washington think tank says.
A Nov. 27 satellite image of the Parchin facility suggests that Iran made “no significant alterations” at the location for more than three months, the Institute for Science and International Security said in its Tuesday analysis. That follows a period of more than a year in which the Middle Eastern nation pursued demolition, construction and paving activities that organization experts believe were aimed at concealing evidence of past on-site experiments relevant to nuclear-arms development.
Iran, which insists that its atomic efforts have no military dimension, began modifying the Parchin site a month after the International Atomic Energy Agency started pushing to visit the base in January 2012, according to ISIS analysts David Albright and Serena Kelleher-Vergantini. The U.N. nuclear watchdog’s interest in the site is part of a broader probe launched amid international skepticism about Tehran’s ostensibly peaceful atomic ambitions.
The apparent halt in modifications at Parchin “may mean that Iran has finished making planned changes at the site,” the experts wrote. They added, though, that the pause could alternatively “represent an effort by Iran to freeze operations there.”
U.N. inspectors remain barred from the Iranian facility under a deal struck last month by Tehran and the Vienna-based U.N. organization. In an August safeguards report, IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano said Iran’s “extensive activities [at Parchin] have seriously undermined the agency’s ability to conduct effective verification.”
IAEA officials suspect that the base hosted a structure capable of facilitating nuclear-related explosives tests, as well as possible development of a “neutron initiator” for activating atomic detonations.
Certain specialists, though, have questioned the U.N. agency’s rationale for pressing to visit the Parchin compound. The evidence behind those requests — intelligence gathered and furnished to the agency by IAEA member governments — remains confidential.
This article was published in Global Security Newswire, which is produced independently by National Journal Group under contract with the Nuclear Threat Initiative. NTI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan group working to reduce global threats from nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons.
What We're Following See More »
Foreign Policy takes a look at the future of mining the estimated "100,000 near-Earth objects—including asteroids and comets—in the neighborhood of our planet. Some of these NEOs, as they’re called, are small. Others are substantial and potentially packed full of water and various important minerals, such as nickel, cobalt, and iron. One day, advocates believe, those objects will be tapped by variations on the equipment used in the coal mines of Kentucky or in the diamond mines of Africa. And for immense gain: According to industry experts, the contents of a single asteroid could be worth trillions of dollars." But the technology to get us there is only the first step. Experts say "a multinational body might emerge" to manage rights to NEOs, as well as a body of law, including an international court.
Not to be outdone by Jeffrey Goldberg's recent piece in The Atlantic about President Obama's foreign policy, the New York Times Magazine checks in with a longread on the president's economic legacy. In it, Obama is cognizant that the economic reality--73 straight months of growth--isn't matched by public perceptions. Some of that, he says, is due to a constant drumbeat from the right that "that denies any progress." But he also accepts some blame himself. “I mean, the truth of the matter is that if we had been able to more effectively communicate all the steps we had taken to the swing voter,” he said, “then we might have maintained a majority in the House or the Senate.”
Ronald Reagan's children and political allies took to the media and Twitter this week to chide funnyman Will Ferrell for his plans to play a dementia-addled Reagan in his second term in a new comedy entitled Reagan. In an open letter, Reagan's daughter Patti Davis tells Ferrell, who's also a producer on the movie, “Perhaps for your comedy you would like to visit some dementia facilities. I have—I didn’t find anything comedic there, and my hope would be that if you’re a decent human being, you wouldn’t either.” Michael Reagan, the president's son, tweeted, "What an Outrag....Alzheimers is not joke...It kills..You should be ashamed all of you." And former Rep. Joe Walsh called it an example of "Hollywood taking a shot at conservatives again."
In a sign that she’s ready to put a longer-than-expected primary battle behind her, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D) is no longer going on the air in upcoming primary states. “Team Clinton hasn’t spent a single cent in … California, Indiana, Kentucky, Oregon and West Virginia, while” Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-VT) “campaign has spent a little more than $1 million in those same states.” Meanwhile, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Sanders’ "lone backer in the Senate, said the candidate should end his presidential campaign if he’s losing to Hillary Clinton after the primary season concludes in June, breaking sharply with the candidate who is vowing to take his insurgent bid to the party convention in Philadelphia.”
The team behind the bestselling "Clinton Cash"—author Peter Schweizer and Breitbart's Stephen Bannon—is turning the book into a movie that will have its U.S. premiere just before the Democratic National Convention this summer. The film will get its global debut "next month in Cannes, France, during the Cannes Film Festival. (The movie is not a part of the festival, but will be shown at a screening arranged for distributors)." Bloomberg has a trailer up, pointing out that it's "less Ken Burns than Jerry Bruckheimer, featuring blood-drenched money, radical madrassas, and ominous footage of the Clintons."